Meet the Inspirational Emily!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Emily Corinda 

Year: 2015

Hometown: South Reading, Vermont  

Major: Geology  

You organized a petition that attracted more than a thousand people, including Governor of Vermont, Peter Shumlin. Describe your petition: 

I organized the petition to try and convince Governor Shumlin not to support the construction of a Walmart in Derby, Vermont. 

What inspired you to organize this petition? 

Derby is a small town that has many local businesses, so building a Walmart in such a small town will make it very difficult for them to compete with Walmart’s low prices. This will increase the unemployment in the town and hurt the local economy even more. I care about the people of Derby and the local businesses in the town, and I wanted to do whatever I could to try and help. 

What do you think will happen with your petition in the near future? 

Our petition has already received over 1400 signatures, and Governor Shumlin also heard about it and publicly commented about my efforts. Im going to organize a rally this summer and try to raise more awareness about this issue, and hopefully my petition will work.  

Do you think you will move back to Vermont after college? 

I would like to move back and live their for most of my life, but I do plan to travel a lot.  

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? 

I really hope to be involved with environmental and community based issues, specifically helping raise awareness and finding solutions to solve these issues.  

What is your favorite country that you have visited? 

I absolutely love Australia! Half of my family is from Australia and it is such a gorgeous country.  

What do you enjoy doing on the weekends? 

I normally go home on the weekends, or hang out with my friends and family members. 

Leen Hajjar

Mt Holyoke

Sin Than

Mt Holyoke

Hello!!I'm Phyu-Sin, co-EIC of Her Campus Mt. Holyoke. Come to me with any concerns, questions, or comments, and my doors will always be open to you.