This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Back in my sophomore year, one of my best friends who is a huge Disney fan introduced me to this theory called the Mandela Effect. It is defined as a memory that is falsely remembered. As a psychology and education major, this phenomenon interested me. My friend and I decided to take a test and see if we have been affected by the Mandela Effect. Turns out, we have been! In this article I will be talking about the examples of the Mandela Effect that shock me to this day. 

1. “Luke, I am your father.”

If you are a Star Wars fan like me, you will be shocked. When people always quote the famous franchise, the first thing they think of is this iconic Darth Vader moment. However, if you go back to the exact scene, the quote is actually “No, I am your father.” This line could have been misquoted due to the fact that there are countless internet memes about it. 

2. “Mirror, mirror, on the wall.”

Disney Fans who grew up watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarves will have their minds blown. The line is actually “Magic mirror on the wall.” 

3. Sex in The City 

This famous movie and TV Series is about four women and how they explore their love lives in New York City. Though the show delves into these women’s sex lives in the Big Apple, it is actually titled Sex and The City not “Sex in The City.” 

4. Uncle Sam poster

This poster was used as a form of propaganda to recruit men for the army back in World War 2. The iconic poster has misled some people regarding the color of Uncle Sam’s hat. It is actually blue and white, not red and white like some pictures would make you believe. 

5. “A Whole New World” lyric

Ok, this one really shocked me and it didn’t even make sense in the context of the song at first. In the famous duet in the Disney classic Aladdin, Jasmine supposedly sings “Every turn a surprise, every moment gets better,” but actually it’s “Every turn a surprise, every moment red letter.” After looking up what “red letter” means, I found out it means a day or moment that is meaningful and special.  

Do these examples blow your mind? There are many more examples of the Mandela Effect worth exploring! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Emma Goldin

Mt Holyoke '21

Hi guys! My name is Emma Goldin and I am from San Francisco, California. I am a psychology and education major at Mount Holyoke College! I am part of the class of 2021! My interests include writing, singing, reading, playing guitars, and hanging out with my friends and family.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.