How To Enjoy Your Spring Break Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Staying on campus over the break is hard. You spend every waking minute asking yourself a million questions that all boil down to: why am I here? Whether you’re on campus to save money (especially because this break is way too short) or are just avoiding going back home, here are some ways to make it fun because we know it can get lonely!

1. Treat yo self

Be indulgent! Hanging out by yourself for an entire week can be incredibly depressing and you’ll definitely end up being bored out of your mind, especially when it feels like everyone on campus has left. Try some retail therapy: buy something you don’t really need, but really want (but don’t go over your budget!). Or you could just go window shopping for a few hours if you have no money to spare (oh, the life of a college student). If you’re not really into shopping, try getting a manicure, pedicure, or massage or simply take a trip out of South Hadley to eat at a restaurant in Amherst or Northampton (if you can navigate the break bus schedule).

2. Be friendly!

Try to hang out with friends you haven’t seen in a while or make new friends! Leaving your room and socializing for a few hours may sound like a hassle (especially when it’s cold or rainy outside), but it could be fun and you (probably) won’t regret it. Try going out to lunch or dinner with a group of cool people. You’ll end up learning so much about others and you’ll be amazed by how good you feel afterwards. Those memories will definitely stick with you! You could always host a “Friendsgiving in March” and have a dinner party. You could go food shopping together, cook together, and then sit in a common room, eating, chatting, or watching a movie.

3. Better yourself

You’ve probably been putting off learning that new skill, reading that new book, or watching that new movie. Well, now’s the time! Since you don’t have to worry about packing or flights or anything like that, you can focus on doing the things you’ve wanted to do all semester. Plus, it’s a great time to do it because it won’t interfere with your schoolwork and you can put your focus completely on the task!

4. Do your homework

Yeah, I know it’s break, but your future self will thank you. While everyone else scrambles to finish things Sunday night, you can head to bed early and actually get some sleep before classes resume. Also, because you have plenty of time to do it, you can complete tasks at your own pace or even get a head start on things due in April.

Being at Moho for break instead of at home or sitting on the beach can be kind of a bummer, but at the end of the day, break is what you make it. Make sure to eat and not stay cooped up in your room all day. Try to have fun and be productive! Enjoy your break so you can come back refreshed and ready to take on the last half of the semester!

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.