This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

‘Tis the season…for finals. It’s the middle of the semester, which means classes are in full swing and midterms are upon us. Most are beginning the craze that is projects and essays, and experiencing the exhaustion that comes with keeping up with classes. This time of year can be difficult to navigate and we can often find ourselves consumed with stress and unhealthy study habits. It is really easy to forget about all personal care and spend the night in the library in hopes of feeling completely ready for a test. However, there are much better ways to prepare yourself and feel better during this busy time of the year. Here is a list of finals and reading days essentials. From study skills to the best types of snacks, hopefully this compilation can keep you going for one more week. 

A Well-Organized Planner

Having a planner to keep track of all your assignments and your study sessions can help keep things feeling manageable. 

Desk with stationary, an agenda, pens, paperclips, and a binder clip
Photo by Polina Kovaleva from Pexels

Notecards

Notecards for any large amount of studying can be a nice interactive study method rather than just reading notes repetitively. 

Colorful Pens

Making your notes very colorful makes you more likely to go back and read them again! In addition, colorful sticky notes among other aesthetically pleasing study materials will make the idea of sitting down and learning less miserable. 

A Good Sleep Schedule

I know a lot of students like to camp out all night long so they don’t miss a single hour of studying. However, this is really counterproductive. Your mind will not retain anything if you do not give it time to rest. This is usually why cramming for an exam does not really work either. Study something, rest, and come back to it. This gives you the best chance at actually learning the material and internalizing it. Getting a full night’s sleep but still waking up at a reasonable time to study allows the brain to maximize its learning potential. 

Woman reading a book in bed
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

Study Snacks

Making sure you have all your energy is very important for studying and taking exams. High protein snacks like nuts can be really fueling, but sometimes an apple will even do the trick. Try small snacks with a lot of fuel in them to keep your energy high and your brain functioning. 

A Few Breaks

This one sounds bad, I know! This can actually be one of the best ways to take a break. Instead of telling yourself “I’m going to take a break for a little while,” try “I’m going to watch one episode of The Office.” This sets a clear limit in your own mind, instead of an indefinite break that will inevitably last longer than you want. Set a goal and then when the episode is over, get back to work. This will also allow you to fully enjoy your mental break instead of constantly telling yourself “I should start working again,” or “Just a few more scrolls through Instagram.”

1. A Good Study Spot

Find what works for you while studying and act on it. Try the library, your desk, your bed, the student center. All of these locations offer different benefits that may appeal to you. Likewise, try studying at different times of the day in order to find when you are most productive. You may find that you are easily motivated at 5 am (or not!). 

Person Holding a Book
Photo by Aline Viana Prado from Pexels

Healthy Meals 

I know many people who forget to eat, myself included, when studying or taking exams all day. This is one of the worst things you can do for yourself. Like sleep, eating a solid meal helps fuel your brain and makes it productive. If you are not getting the right nutrition or energy you will be tired and not effectively studying and you won’t be at your full potential when taking an exam. Schedule a meal time in your day, take a break with your friends, and eat a healthy meal. This will help you stay physically well during a mentally stressful week.

A Good Attitude

If you tell yourself you don’t want to study you won’t do a thorough job. Make studying fun and put yourself in a good environment and you will have a good attitude. This will help you accomplish more and feel good doing it. 

A Goal

Knowing what you want to accomplish and what you need to accomplish are two very different things. One thing that can really minimize stress is writing down what needs to be done and then writing down goals for when you want to have it done by. This makes it much less stressful when looking at it and can help your mind feel sorted out. Making a schedule for your day of what you are going to study helps a lot. But don’t forget to schedule in some time to eat, take breaks, exercise, and relax.

student studying for school
Photo by Green Chameleon from Unsplash

Take reading days not only as an opportunity to study but also to learn about yourself as a learner. It is a great time to experiment with study habits and maybe even find a new study spot on campus or in your own home. I hope this list helps as we all take on midterms this semester. Good Luck! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Suzannah Gray

Mt Holyoke '22

Class: 2022 Major(s): Geology and Politics Homestate: Maine! Interests: Crafts, Knitting, Puzzles
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.