This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

October is almost here and with it comes another spooky fall season. In some states, people aren’t allowed to go trick-or-treating due to the pandemic. So most likely, people will be staying home, eating Halloween candy and watching horror and thriller movies. However, some people, myself included, don’t like horror movies as much as others. In this article, I’ve listed some of my recommendations for Halloween movies for those who don’t enjoy horror and thriller movies. 

1. Hocus Pocus (1993) 

This is probably one of my favorite Halloween movies of all time. It’s a classic witch movie. This movie is about a teenage boy named Max and how he accidentally brings back to life the Sanderson sisters (who have been dead for 300 years). With the help of his crush and his little sister, they plan to stop the Sanderson sisters’ plan to take the lives of all the children in Salem, Massachusetts and become young forever. Also, who doesn’t love a movie with Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker? 

2. Halloweentown (1998) 

This movie is about a young girl named Marnie who discovers that her grandmother is a witch. With her little brother and sister, they travel to her grandmother’s hometown, Halloweentown. While there, they encounter all kinds of monsters and magical creatures and Marnie discovers that she is a witch as well. 

3. Casper (1995) 

Casper is a young ghost who doesn’t believe in scaring people like the other ghosts he lives with. His world changes when a human girl named Cat moves into the house where Casper lives with her ghost-whispering father. Cat’s father is tasked with getting rid of the ghosts in the house for the woman who inherits it. Meanwhile, Cat and Casper develop a friendship and Casper comes out with his desire to be human. 

4. Practical Magic (1998) 

This movie stars Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman as sister witches.  The movie follows these sisters growing up as witches and dealing with love in different ways. Their family faces a curse where if a female witch falls in love with a man, a black beetle will come and make a ticking sound to give a warning that the man will die soon. It has all sorts of Halloween and witchy aspects and explores the theme of sisterhood and the power of family. 

5. The Addams Family (1991) 

This film is about the life of the creepy and cooky Addams family. The father of the family, Gomez, misses his brother Fester after he vanished in the Bermuda Triangle. Luckily for him, Fester comes back, but Gomez and his family suspect he isn’t the same person as he once was. 

I hope you enjoy these movies and get into the spirit of Halloween!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com

Emma Goldin

Mt Holyoke '21

Hi guys! My name is Emma Goldin and I am from San Francisco, California. I am a psychology and education major at Mount Holyoke College! I am part of the class of 2021! My interests include writing, singing, reading, playing guitars, and hanging out with my friends and family.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.