free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Gargi Mishra

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Pune, India

In your personal experience, what are some issues you’ve had as an International Student? What about some benefits?

I think the main issue I face as an international student is being in a very different timezone than my family. When I am awake, they are asleep and vice-versa, so it can be hard to communicate with one another. It can also be slightly difficult at times to be away from family during short breaks (Thanksgiving or Spring Break). But, the college community is extremely supportive and inclusive. There are events to attend or other fun things to do during breaks even when you are away from home. Most importantly, there are people who I can reach out to without ever hesitating.

What is your major and what made  you decide to major in it?

I am a Biochemistry major. The choice came naturally to me and I did not put in much thought before declaring it. I suppose it was because I’ve always been equally drawn to biology and chemistry. Being a Biochemistry major allows me to learn more about both of the fields and how each complements the other.

What do you want to do when you’re older? Why?

I am still undecided about what I want to do when I am older, but I do know that it has to involve biomedical research. It was probably during sophomore year of high school when I wrote an essay about stem cells that made me think, “Wow, real biomedical research is cooler than in the movies!” Perhaps it is that excitement to explore the unknown and help people that makes me want to pursue this field of work once I am older.

You’re an athlete, an outstanding student, a TA, and much more with very big dreams. It’s very impressive! What motivates you to do all of this?

The main factor that motivates me is believing that at the end of every day, my efforts add up to make me stronger than I was yesterday. I suppose that’s too philosophical, but I think that every experience teaches us something about ourselves. For instance, I was a member of the Cross Country team for the first three semesters of college and learned that perseverance really does pay off. Unfortunately, due to other commitments I could not continue any longer with college athletics, but I cannot fully emphasize how much I have learned from my coaches and teammates about the value of hard work, time management, and discipline. Running is still an important part of my life even though I am not on the team. I suppose the same goes with being a tutor, a grader, or a volunteer. The feeling of adding new experiences to my life motivates me to do new things, since I know that I will probably learn something more about myself and be able to improve.

What is it like being far away from home? What is it like being back home when you come back from college? Does home feel different to you in any way?

Being far away from home can be both scary and exciting at the same time. Once you get busy with schoolwork and other things, the thought does not pass your mind as often. I think it’s the same feeling that almost every college student gets when they go back home: a feeling of joy and relief, but also a peculiar feeling that comes with having become a lot more independent since you left home. My parents mention that I seem a lot more mature when I go back home. But personally, I feel the same. I get into usual fights with my little brother, do other random things that I have always done, but my parents think that I have changed. I don’t know, maybe my family could answer this question better.  

What are some tips you would give to international students, both incoming and current?

A tip that I would give another international student is to reach out to other people, never hesitate to ask questions, and be open to experiencing new cultures, while embracing your own. The result of that is always beautiful. Building a strong network of people around you, from friends to advisors is super helpful, because they essentially become your family in a foreign place. Also, at a place like Mount Holyoke that is full of people from around the world, you will definitely find people who you can open up to and are compatible with. To an international student or anyone else who is hoping to pursue a career in medicine, I think reaching out to the Pre-health office and older pre-health students early on can be extremely helpful. After that, just leave it up to the universe, because something good always works out!

My name is Victoria and I am a singer/songwriter and physics enthusiast from Pleasantville, NY. I am a first year currently studying Music and Physics at Mount Holyoke College. I run for the Cross Country and Track team, and I am a big proponent of Halloween, Harry Potter, music, tea, and art.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.