Food in the Valley: Asian Cusine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As lucky as we are to have great food options here at Mount Holyoke, I’m sure it’s safe to assume that all of us have the occasional (or frequent…) urge to get off campus and explore other dining options in the area. Thankfully, the Pioneer Valley has a great deal to offer our rumbling tummies that can help us escape the dining halls. Here are some of the gems I’ve encountered over the past few years in the Valley. It’s hard to narrow the list down since there are so many good eats to be had! Remember, I keep a college budget in mind… but I have included few suggestions for the joyful occasions when your parents are in town to treat you.

Butterfly (Hadley): Great Chinese & Japanese food of all sorts, great price. It looks a little dingy from the outside, but it’s actually rather elegant once you enter inside. Well worth the visit!

Sakura (Northampton): Talk about bang for your buck. Sakura is all you can eat Chinese/Japanese for $10 – and it’s pretty good! The vegetarian options are a little lacking, but adequate, although the rest of the sushi and food options are bountiful and include an awesome dessert buffet in the back! A little off the beaten track and most likely not accessible by the PVTA, but it’s well worth the adventure. My friend Galvyn, a NoHo native (and contributing writer!) introduced this gem to me on our semester long quest to check out every sushi joint in the valley.

Ichiban (South Hadley): Probably the best option nearby! You’re likely to spot some “exotic dancers” from nearby Anthony’s, but they’re there for the good food just like you. I’ve eaten in the restaurant once, and I have to admit the service was terrible, although I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, my many experiences ordering take-out have been good and the sushi is delicious.

Panda East (Amherst): It must be mentioned. The food actually is good, but I only have two words for you: SAKE BOMB.

Fresh Side (Amherst): Mmm! Tea rolls! Tea! So yummy, and so cheap! Fantastic whether you’re eating in or taking out. Depending on your taste, the tea rolls might be a tad bland without sauce. Fresh Side always holds aspecial place in my heart. It used to be BYOB, but as of this year they have their liquor license and are serving alcohol! Yay!

Zen (Northampton): There are cheaper options to be had (see above), but Zen is certainly worth mentioning. The restaurant is beautiful on the inside with a neat atmosphere, and the food really is divine. The hibachi grills are always a lot of fun. If you want to spend a little extra cash for a better overall experience, Zen is worth it.

This is part of an ongoing series of blog posts entitled Food in the Valley. Next week: Mexican!

A junior at Mount Holyoke College, Madeline is majoring in English with a minor in Art History. Currently she is serving as an editor for the MH News, as well as Social Chair for the class of 2012. Her interests include art, traveling, competitive sports, writing, reading, animals of all kinds, and spending as much time with her friends as possible. Her goals include publishing her fiction, and seeing and writing about as much of the world as possible.