First Year Impressions: The Dating Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Walking around campus, sitting in classes and overhearing conversations at M&Cs have led me to an interesting conclusion: many women here want to find a man, but they are either too scared to go up to a guy, or they don’t know where to meet guys in the first place. Now, I may “only be a first year,” but being fairly outgoing, I believe I can offer some advice. So if you can bear to accept help from a firstie, listen up!

First, don’t be shy! If you see a cute guy while walking around Amherst, go up to him and introduce yourself. If that scares you too much, ask him for directions, ask him for the time, ask him anything. That simple question starts a conversation, and pretty soon you’re on your way to your first date.

Second, when you begin talking to a guy, have an idea of what you’d like to do, or where you’d like to go on a date. Even if it’s just getting coffee or studying (you know you have to at some point), having something in mind will make it easier to actually make set plans with him.

Third, if one and two are difficult because you never actually see any guys, you need to look harder and step off campus every so often! This means grabbing a group of friends and going to Amherst or Northampton, riding the PVTA more often and taking some classes at other schools. You’ll never see or meet anyone new if you limit yourself to class and your dorm all day.  

One very easy way to meet guys that have interests and passions similar to your own is to go to venues you enjoy and talk to other people there. Check out concerts, parties, theatre productions, sports games, and events at any of the Five Colleges. From a lecture by Camille Brown at UMass on October 5th to seeing “Jack, or The Submission” here at Mount Holyoke on October 20th, you’re bound to find a guy who shares your interests.  Remember, there are events all year long at all five colleges, and there are student prices on most performing arts events. If you’re a theatre lover, go to a play and scope out the guys there, and if you love music, head to a concert and do the same. You’ll get to enjoy an event while meeting people who have the same likes and interests as you!

Don’t forget that you lose nothing by introducing yourself to a guy or going out on a date with him. If he turns you down, you’re back where you started. If the date is a bust, at least you gave it a shot! True, your pride may be a bit wounded, but if you don’t take a few risks, you’ll miss out on a real opportunity!

Finally, remember that you are a smart, beautiful, confident Mount Holyoke woman and there isn’t anything you can’t do… including introducing yourself to the cutie sitting one row in front of you at the movie theater.

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.
A junior at Mount Holyoke College, Madeline is majoring in English with a minor in Art History. Currently she is serving as an editor for the MH News, as well as Social Chair for the class of 2012. Her interests include art, traveling, competitive sports, writing, reading, animals of all kinds, and spending as much time with her friends as possible. Her goals include publishing her fiction, and seeing and writing about as much of the world as possible.