This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Cynthia Gonzalez

Class Year: 2019

Major: Theater

Hometown: Harlem, NYC, NY

Pronouns: She/her

What do you like about Mount Holyoke?

What really drew me to the college was that it’s a really nice community. It has a great sense of community, unlike a big university where you don’t know each other. There’s a sense of unity here. It’s a very good school, and the alum I talked to about it called it a “Hidden Ivy,” so not only does it have a great community, it has great academics, too. I think Mount Holyoke is the perfect fit for me.

What are your interests?

I like stories! I like to read, and to watch TV and movies. When I find a really good book or story, I get obsessed with it. I’ll think about it nonstop. That’s what led me to my theater major, because I want to tell stories and entertain people as I’ve been entertained. Especially in this trying time where it’s good to escape into fiction. Romeo and Juliet and Anastasia are the two “stories” that I’m really obsessed with.

What is your favorite movie right now?

It always has been, and always will be Spirited Away. When I was younger, I would watch it with my babysitter. I would request to have her play it over and over. I love the visuals and the story itself. It’s an emotional journey. And there’s a great platonic or possibly romantic relationship in it. I just love the fantasy elements of it, too. Shoutout to Moonlight, though. It stars a black gay man, and it’s about his life growing up. You should all see it!

What do you like to do with your spare time?

I like watching YouTube videos. Or watching anything really. I like to be entertained. Anything that’s a nice distraction is good. I also used to go on Tumblr and listen to music and make up my own stories.

What are you most looking forward to this semester?

I’m looking forward to completing another semester, and feeling accomplished at the end. It feels really good to be able to accomplish something that was challenging. And I love that feeling of total relief when all that work is done!

If you could meet any celebrity, who would it be and why?

Laura Osnes from Bonnie and Clyde! She’s the person who got me into theater. I met her once, and it was great. I’d love to be able to talk to her about what it’s like being in theater. I really hope that I can meet her again.

What are your goals?

Just to live and enjoy life as much as I can. And to heal as a person. I just want to get through the rest of this semester, and have a strong finish! If I’m able to do all that, I’ll be happy.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?

The ability to rewind time. That way you could rewind time if you ever do something silly or make a mistake. You’d never have to worry about embarrassing yourself again. Or you could enjoy once-in-a-lifetime events over and over again! It would be the best superpower.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.