This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Over these past weeks, I’ve come to realize how important it is to release our emotions. We all have ways of expressing ourselves and I have my own go-to methods. Something new I’ve been trying to do is express myself and work through emotions with creative writing. Your writing can be about anything; it doesn’t have to be about the stress of your feelings. Personally, I just like to write something for myself, about something I see or experience. It allows me to really feel and fully appreciate the small moments. 

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers” – Isaac Asimov

Here is one of my poems that I recently wrote in reflection of a past experience: 

I hear the ice rink singing, the varied songs I hear, 

Those of beginners, each one with a crate in hand, 

To guide them on the slippery ice, 

The hockey player singing, 

As her feet race at exponential rates 

against the freshly frozen ground, 

The figure skater singing as he glides, 

Spins, jumps, and navigates around every obstacle 

With a classical tune in his heart, 

The young couple singing as they hold hands, 

In attempts to stay balanced and show affection for one another, 

The families singing together as one, 

The old one singing as he sits 

When his past flickers before his eyes, 

Remembering when he too danced on ice, 

The radio humming songs of the early 2000s, 

The teens singing loud with their aloof attitudes, 

The delicate singing of a teacher, 

Be it parent, elder, or coach, 

Guiding unexposed hands to a cold new world, 

Each singing what belongs to him or her and to no other, 

Roles aside, be it a he or a she 

Every person has a choice in their own part! 

The people of the rink singing with proud airs, 

Their strong melodies projecting across the glittering ice. 

“I have never started a poem whose end I knew. Writing a poem is discovering” – Robert Frost

Writing is a powerful tool. You can write about anything, but taking a step back from academic writings can be so refreshing, especially when it’s creative. You can allow yourself to write whatever you want and feel. Hope you enjoyed this article and try some free creative writing! 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films