Casey Linenberg ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Casey Linenberg

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Hometown: Royal Oak, Michigan

Major: English

What is your position on the Her Campus team? What do you love about Her Campus? What compelled you to join and why have you stayed?

I am an editor and writer for Her Campus! I love that members on our team have Her Campus to facilitate self-expression and work as a team to make something they can be proud of. As far as why I first joined, I missed writing for a publication and needed a break from writing papers. And I stayed with Her Campus because I am consistently impressed by what everyone writes and want to continue to be a part of their creativity.

What other orgs are you apart of? Why do you love them so much?

I’m a part of Mount Holyoke News, Moneta, and Amnesty International. MHN is the school paper, Moneta is a creative arts magazine, and Amnesty is a branch of the international social justice organization. In a way, each of them is a way to continue what I did in high school. I like the awesome group of people in each group and being able to develop skills while getting to know peers with similar interests. I designed the layout for the latest Moneta, so if you want to read it, you can go here.

How is being an editor for MHN different from being an editor for Her Campus?

I do layout for MHN, so Her Campus lets me edit articles, something I really enjoy because it flexes a different creative muscle. Also, the end product is different: instead of producing a tangible publication, Her Campus is totally online. Also, Her Campus is more laid back because the writers and PR team do a lot of work independently. Both orgs are great, though!

What are you passionate about?

Tough question, a lot! I’m pretty consistently passionate about writing, video editing, social justice, and Harry Potter, but there’s always some show, band, or comic that’s a Flavor-of-the-month on top of that. I easily go off on tangents and really appreciate when I can share what I’m passionate about with friends and family. I’m notorious for making people watch shows I like.

What are your favorite shows and why?

My favorite shows are In The Flesh, Torchwood, Orange is the New Black, and Shameless. Of course, that’s out of at least 80-ish shows I’ve seen so it’s hard to choose. I tend to like shows that are groundbreaking/culturally significant in some way, are a bit intense, and have a great romantic subplot. Most recently, I’ve fallen for SKAM and Yuri!!! On Ice. They consumed my winter break and I highly recommend both.

What made you choose to major in English?

Since I was a kid I’ve known I want to write, and I’m pretty lucky I’ve stuck to that. When I took AP Lit in high school, I realized I did like studying literature and poetry, and that interest has continued. It’s what I’m best at, and the major applies to so many career fields. My favorite English course so far has been British Romanticism with Professor Kate Singer.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.