Campus Celebrity: Niani Tolbert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Niani Tolbert, a 19-year-old sophomore at Mount Holyoke, a POSSE Foundation scholar, and fashion blogger is the creator of “The Fierce Fantasy.” The Fierce Fantasy is a fashion blog dedicated to focus “on a behind-the-scenes point of view of the fashion industry/events” and exploit “local emerging fashion talents and boutiques.”

Like all self-driven, bright women, she has fully immersed herself into her passion for fashion and has made extensive efforts at striving for her goals. During the summer of 2012, she had the opportunity to be the Head of Volunteers for the first annual Miami Metropolitan International Fashion Week, interned for the Sugar Art and Fashion Show, became the Runway coordinator and Stylist for Go Green Fashionista, and volunteered over fifteen hours a week for the Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, Florida.

Juggling classes, which will result in a double major in Consumer Behavior / New Media and Biochemistry here at Mount Holyoke College, and working for multiple internships, she has partnered with Channel 22/NBC Lifestyle Morning Show Mass Appeal where she has a monthly segment talking about fashion topics.

Engaged in a short interview, I asked her several questions:

What was your inspiration for your blog and how long have you been feeding your passion for fashion?

I’ve always loved clothes and appreciated style as an art of expression. Once I joined Tumblr during the summer of 2011, I found myself falling in love with the fashion/ style Tumblrs such as Dirty Little Style Whorre and Ms. Vintage Virgin. I then created a Tumblr to reblog my style inspiration me, but I never put any original pictures/ thoughts up. I was afraid of putting myself out there. I took a year to attend social media conferences and read books and articles about pro blogging (yet that exists) because I wanted to be educated about blogging to have the best success in it (that’s the Moho in me i guess).This summer, I just said “eff it” and started my blog, TheFierceFantasy.com . I was over the wait.”

Being a Consumer Behavior / New Media and Biochemistry double major sounds like two different sides of the fence, how do you plan on connecting the two?

“That’s easy. I am double majoring in Biochemistry and Consumer Behavior and New Media (special major) and I would like to own a textile manipulation manufacturing company. I would be able to travel around the world and find new fabrics and manipulate them with dyes, acids, and other chemicals using my Chemistry background. The business and marketing aspect would be helped by my Consumer Behavior background.”

What are your long-term goals with The Fierce Fantasy?

“I would like to be a well-known fashion influencer and make a name of myself. Simply that.”

Interested in seeing the inspiration, the cool events, and the passion for fashion in the eyes of Niani Tolbert? Check out her sites:

http://www.thefiercefantasy.com
http://www.facebook.com/thefie…
http://www.twitter.com/fiercef…

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.