Campus Celeb: Korinna MacNeill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Name: Korinna MacNeill

Class Year: 2013

Hometown: Malone, New York

Major: Dance

Second Major: International Relations

What do you love most about Mount Holyoke? I love Mount Holyoke for the amazing opportunities that I have been given. I love Mount Holyoke for its diversity and how accepting it is as a whole. I also love how empowering it is, and having the feeling that anything is possible with ambition.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? In ten years, I see myself as a dance instructor.

What are your hopes/dreams for the future? My main hope for my future is to be happy with wherever life takes me, as well as having a successful career.

How do you contribute to the community? I teach dance for an after school program  at Peck in Holyoke, as well as tutor middle school students in their school subjects.

Can you tell us a little about the teaching you do at Peck? How has this experience benefitted you and the children? At Peck, I lead a dance program for middle school students. I teach the students about the different forms of dance, as well as their history, and offer a little background information as well. I want them to gain basic knowledge about dance as an art form. This experience has benefitted me because it has shown me that I have a passion for teaching children dance, and want to continue doing this in my future. It has benefitted the children because they have been able to learn about dance, have various opportunities to perform, as well as establish a relationship with me as a positive role model in their life.

Who is your role model? My role model is Stacey Funston, a recent graduate of Mount Holyoke, who has helped me tremendously with finding my passion for teaching dance. My older sister Arianna is also my role model, as she has always been there for me as a positive influence in my life, providing me with support in all that I do. Another one of my role models is Tempest Bowden!

What do you bring to our wonderfully diverse college in terms of culture? I represent my Greek background, as my grandparents immigrated to the United States from Greece, and it is very important to me to represent my culture.

Where are we most likely to find you on a Friday night? On a Friday night, I’m either hanging out with my friends watching a movie, or off campus.

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.