This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

We have just come to the end of breast cancer awareness month. According to the World Health Organization, about 2.3 million people were diagnosed with breast cancer globally in 2020. The statistics on breast cancer are very depressing, but don’t let it scare you. Thousands of people around the world are working together to reduce the mortality rate caused by this illness. Currently, the best way to increase a person’s chances of beating breast cancer is early detection. Here are a few tips on how you can detect it early and also how you can help work towards achieving the goal of reducing deaths related to breast cancer.

Breast Cancer Self-Exam

Observe your breasts in the mirror and ensure that they are their usual size. Inform your doctor immediately if there is any swelling, distortion, or change in color. If you do not notice these symptoms, raise your arms and check for irregularities or any sign of fluid coming out of your nipples. Next, feel your breasts while you are lying down. In a circular motion, firmly but smoothly rub the tip of your fingers on your breasts. After this, repeat this activity while standing up and check if there are any noticeable differences. The breast cancer self-exam does not determine whether an individual has breast cancer or not. But it does help people detect any irregularities early on, so they can report them to their doctor.

Educate Yourself

Yes, people over 40 are more likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer, but this does not mean younger people can’t get it. If possible, ask your family members if there is a history of breast cancer in your family. It is important to know this because it helps you to observe your breasts regularly. In addition, learn the behavioral tips that may reduce your risk of having breast cancer. According to WHO, regular physical activity, weight control, avoidance of harmful use of alcohol, and avoidance of tobacco smoke reduce a person’s risk. 

Support people who are battling breast cancer 

Aside from the physical toll breast cancer has on people, the emotional toll can also be difficult. If possible, offer to do something for someone who is going through this. These tasks might be being emotionally available when they need someone to vent to, helping take care of their home, babysitting, or running errands. There are many things you can do to support people with breast cancer. If you do not personally know anyone going through this, you can volunteer at a hospital. However, also remember to take care of yourself. Being a support is not an easy task, and you can only do an excellent job if you take care of yourself.

Donate to breast cancer research organizations

Many organizations are researching to find a cure for breast cancer. Research is very expensive so these researchers need funding. If you come across a trustworthy breast cancer research organization, donate if you can. No matter how small it is, your donation will move the world one step closer to finding a cure.

I hope this article has helped you learn more about breast cancer. Do not feel like you have to wait until October to raise awareness. People die from breast cancer every month so you should raise awareness every month. To know more about breast cancer, visit the World Health Organization’s page or breastcancer.org.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Hi there! I am a Mount Holyoke student who is an ABBA enthusiast. I love binge-watching multiple shows, eating cereal, and scrolling through Tiktok. I hope to have a collection of ABBA, The Beatles, and Queen merch before I am 21.