This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

With the right study soundtrack to accompany you, slogging through that research paper or 30-page reading can instantly feel like a breeze. In my personal experience, I’ve found film scores to be some of the greatest study music to motivate myself as I push through that last assignment. While I could go on and on and probably create a ten hour playlist of all my favorite scores, I’ve compiled only some of my top favorites which have helped me through many a grind session.

1. Pride and Prejudice by Dario Marianelli and Jean-Yves Thibaudet

The classical piano tunes of this period drama create extremely relaxing background noise for any kind of assignment. There have been many studies on the benefits of listening to classical music while doing homework, and Pride and Prejudice’s orchestral tunes and soothing sonatas are a perfect example—they transport you right into a Regency parlor room!

My favorites: “Dawn,” “Georgiana,” “Your Hands are Cold.” 

1. Peter Pan (2003) by James Newton Howard

The whimsical instrumentals and siren-like vocals that populate this album are not only hauntingly beautiful to listen to but can also help you trick yourself into imagining you are in the fantastical, carefree bliss of Neverland rather than questioning all your academic and career ambitions. 

My favorites: “Is That a Kiss,” “Flying,” “Fairy Dance.”

1. Fantastic Mr. Fox and The French Dispatch by Alexandre Desplat

Honestly, any Wes Anderson film score by Alexandre Desplat could be included here, but my personal favorites are The French Dispatch and Fantastic Mr. Fox. The jaunty soundtrack of Mr. Fox is always a go-to for me, with its plucking violin and banjo tunes and autumnal vibes that help uplift the mood and resist the temptation to bash your head into your laptop as you scramble to meet your essay deadline. The French Dispatch is also great background noise with its abundance of relaxing, even hypnotic, piano songs, as well as bright and colorful melodies to reinvigorate your energy level.

My favorites: “Kristofferson,” “Mr. Fox in the Fields,” “Moving In.” “Moses Rosenthaler,” “Obituary,” “Simone, Naked, Cell Block-J, Hobby Room.”

1. Ratatouille by Michael Giacchino

This one is kind of out-of-pocket, but I find the sweeping and jazzy Parisian sound of Micheal Giacchino’s score to put me in an extremely calm, neutral headspace to get my work done, and I love romanticizing my homework by pretending I’m in a cafe in the French countryside.

My favorites: “Ratatouille Main Theme,” “Wall Rat,” “Anyone Can Cook.”

1. Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away by Joe Hisaishi

Joe Hisaishi is, in my opinion, one of the greatest composers of all time, but his crowning achievements by far are the scores for Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away, both incredible films with equally incredible soundtracks. Both Howl’s and Spirited Away have very calming piano-based tunes that provide an ambient, peaceful feeling, as well as more orchestral ensemble songs that greatly assist in stimulating your headspace.

My Favorite: “Merry-Go-Round-of-Life,” “A Walk in the Skies,” “You’re in Love,” “The Flower Garden.” “One Summer Day,” “Reprise,” “The Sixth Station.” 

1. Emma by Isobel Waller-Bridge

Like Pride and Prejudice, the music of this period film is obviously classical, and its buoyant string-based sound interspersed with opera vocals and folksy tunes can help take some of the edge of your work by enabling you to create imaginary romances in your head as you plug away. 

My favorites: “Emma Woodhouse,” “Mr. Knightley,” “Mr. Knightley Running After Emma.”

1. How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

This airy soundtrack mimics the very feeling of soaring on the back of a dragon with its often flute and bagpipe based songs, taken from Scottish inspiration, as well as a number of heroic brass and percussion instruments that really get you in the mindset to get down to business and do your work.

My favorites: “Forbidden Friendship,” “Romantic Flight,” “This is Berk.”

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Grinnell

Mt Holyoke '26

Hi! My name is Sarah, and I am a sophomore at Mount Holyoke with a prospective double major in English and studio art. I love to read (Jane Austen is one of my faves <3), write, paint, and watch movies and cartoons, and I'm super geeky for all things fantasy and sci-fi