7 Sisters Alumnae Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.
Here are a few more of our fellow 7 sisters graduates!

Katharine Hepburn, Bryn Mawr

Katharine Hepburn graduated from Bryn Mawr College in 1928 after acting in a few plays in college. After graduating, Hepburn began appearing in Broadway plays, and appeared in her first feature length film, A Bill of Divorcement in 1932.  Hepburn continued acting, starring in films such as Morning Glory, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, The Philadelphia Story, earning her four Academy Awards and twelve nominations.

Nora Ephron, Wellesley

Nora Ephron graduated from Wellesley College in 1962, and became a writer, publishing articles and her first novel in 1983, Heartburn. When this was turned into a feature film, Ephron began writing screenplays, including Silkwood and When Harry Met Sally. She also directed, as well as wrote, films This is My Life, Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve Got Mail, earning three Academy Award nominations.

Madeleine L’Engle, Smith

Madeleine L’Engle split her childhood between Switzerland and the United States, and graduated with honors from Smith College in 1941. L’Engle began her career as an actress when living in New York City, before she published her first book in 1945. In 1960, she began writing young adult books about the fictional family, the Austins, including books Meet the Austins and A Ring of Endless Light. In 1962, she published her most famous work, A Wrinkle in Time, beginning the fictional series about the Murry and O’Keefe families, and continued with books A Swiftly Turning Planet, Many Waters, and A Wind at the Door. In 1963, A Wrinkle in Time won the Newbery Medal, among many other awards later on. L’Engle continued to write both fictional and non-fiction until her death.

Meryl Streep, Vassar

Though the seven sister colleges often think of Vassar as the “traitor” when the school became a co-educational institution in 1969, Meryl Streep began her studies at Vassar in 1968, technically making her a sister. Streep was interested in acting in college, majoring in theatre, before attending the Yale School of Drama. Upon graduation from Yale, Streep played the role of Anne Marie in in her first movie Julia in 1977. Since her first film, Streep has starred in many movies, including Sophie’s ChoiceOut of Africa, The Devil Wears Prada and most recently, The Iron Lady as Margaret Thatcher. Streep has won a variety of awards for her performances, including 17 Oscar nominations.

Joan Rivers, Barnard

Joan Rivers, originally from New York City, received a degree in anthropology from Barnard College in 1954. She worked for department story Lord & Taylor before beginning acting and performing in comedy clubs, eventually working as a TV writer before hosting “That Show Starring Joan Rivers” in 1968. She went on to both host and appear in talk shows as well as reality TV shows.

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.