This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Summertime is coming! Summer breaks are a treasure for me right now because there are just three more left and, BAM, time to enter the professional world. Our summers are precious and we need to get the most out of them now. So to help you make the most of your summer, here are some ideas for projects and activities:

1. Catch up on your movies

There are so many movies out there right now and thousands of movies streaming. There is probably at least one movie (or fifty) that you feel you probably should have watched by now (but for some reason have never got around to watching), or some movie your best friend keeps telling you to watch, so just watch it to appease them. Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime will be very helpful.  

2.   Make a travel journal

A lot of us already have plans to travel this summer, so if you are traveling, make a travel journal to keep track of all the stuff you did, the food you ate, and the things you felt. You don’t even have to write it in a paper journal. You can type out your entry each day on a phone or laptop and when you get back home, print it out. Less to carry and easier to save. What’s even better is if you save tickets, receipts, or other memorabilia to stick onto your journal. When you’re older, you’ll really love getting to read them over and over again.

3.   Learn how to crochet or knit

This is the spot for learning any new craft (language, instrument, gardening, etc). You usually get at least a little more free time in summers than you do during school, so it’s the perfect time for learning a skill or hobby. The plus side with knitting and crocheting is that when holiday season rolls around, you’ll have the best gifts to give.

4.   Blog about a TV show

3710-2751-0133-099b-0e76e5725d9d.gif?

Rewatch a show from your childhood and do a blog or web journal post for every episode. You can talk about your thoughts and if the show is just like you remember or if there are things you never noticed as a kid. If you are a YouTuber, you could even do vlogs. You may even get comments from other people who watch the show and get to hear what they think.

5.   Change your hair

Every summer is like the start of a new year (at least when you’re in school). So take advantage of that feeling. Change up your hairstyle. Get seven inches taken off, dye your hair a crazy color, or shave half your head. If that is too extreme, get layers, try going lighter, or get bangs. Whatever you do, experiment a little with your hair or your style. The world is your oyster.

Have a great summer everyone. Remember to enjoy it!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Gauri Ganjoo

Mt Holyoke '19

I was the Co-Campus Coordinator of Her Campus Mt Holyoke for during my senior year of college. where I learnt so much and got to help others find their voice. I graduated in 2019 from Mount Holyoke College with a degree in Mathematics and a minor in Film Studies.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.