5 Fun and Affordable Activities to Enjoy With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As a college student, it can be hard to spend time with friends outside of classes without spending much money. In between navigating academics, roommates, and other responsibilities, spending time with friends can be a good way to destress. However, even that can become stressful too — going out with friends can be expensive. Here are some affordable, worry free options to enjoy with your friends!

Go Thrifting

Shopping with friends may be fun, but costs can quickly add up. Keep prices low while still enjoying the experience by shopping at thrift stores instead of regular retail stores. It is not only money saving, but also more sustainable for clothing shopping. Make an eco-friendly, cost-effective change to your hangout plans by visiting your local thrift shops!

Cooking/Baking Night

Everyone loves good food. What better way to bond with friends than making something delicious together? You can exchange memories, cultures, and traditions. After learning more about your friend(s), all of you will also be able to enjoy a wonderful meal together. This could also be an opportunity to meal prep; you’ll be spending the rest of the week eating food made with love!

Have a Picnic

Speaking of food, another fun, food-related activity is going on a picnic! Now that the weather is getting warmer, take advantage of the warm sun by going outside for a picnic with your friends. This is an activity that doesn’t require any spending — simply lay a sheet or blanket out on the grass, bring some food or snacks, and enjoy a relaxing day with your friends.

Movie Nights

Unwind after a long day of classes by snuggling up in the blankets and turning on your favorite movie or T.V. show. Call your friends over as well so all of you can watch it together! With some hot chocolate and your favorite snacks, movie nights are a great way to enjoy your time indoors with company.

Go on a Nature Walk

Spending time outdoors is a great way to get some fresh air and de-stress from college life. After a stressful day or week, invite your friends to go walking around your local park, a nearby woodland area, or whatever place is accessible to you. You don’t have to just go on a walk; nature walks are a great activity to do some photography or make some art of the cool plants and animals that you come across. If you and your friend(s) enjoy quieter areas, this activity is perfect for you.

Having fun with your friends doesn’t always have to cost a lot of money. Other than the activities listed above, there are so many other affordable activities you can explore with your friends. There is no need to spend money to have fun; it’s more important that you are spending time together!

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Ellen Tang

Mt Holyoke '26

Hello! I'm Ellen, a student from Mount Holyoke college. In my free time, I enjoy writing, reading, drawing, and crocheting.