This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

HC MtHolyoke, I’ve been transformed. Long gone are the nights of jittery hands from an I.V. of coffee, suitcase sized bags under my eyes, and falling asleep in my post-lunch class. I am now a morning person! I will admit that the transition was very difficult. However, the process is most certainly possible. I am not one to support the “Sleep when you’re dead” mantra. My lumpy dorm bed is constantly calling my name. If there is one lesson I’ve learned over the past semester, it’s the importance of getting enough sleep. Are you ready for a transformation?

1. Find Your Sleep Number

Everyone has that magic, ideal number of hours of sleep they need to perform well and feel rested. Mine happens to lie between eight and a half and nine hours, which seemed impossible on the college student schedule. I found that once I found my sleep number, I was more motivated to achieve it. Even though these changes meant I had to cut my Hulu habit short and start a paper a half an hour earlier, the feeling of being rested definitely outweighed an extra episode of Modern Family.

1. Create a Night and Morning Routine

Properly winding down at night, such as reading before bed or even washing your face and brushing your teeth, creates a pause in your day. Your actions tell your mind that you’re preparing for bed, which gives you the chance to slow down. A routine in the morning has a similar effect, but it gears you up for the day. My routine consists of getting up and immediately turning on a light. Once that light is on, I know it’s time to start my day. I also allow myself time to sit down, check my email, and enjoy a cup of coffee.

1. Stick To It!

Now that you’ve calculated your ideal amount of sleep and established your routines, all you need to do is follow through. Slowly but surely, the morning won’t be such a drag. Of course, there are always the eternal Night Owls. Perhaps a new routine and a good night’s rest will convert you into a Morning Lark!

Check out the New York Times article for more information and a quiz:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/so-you-think-you-can-be-a-morning-person/

Special thanks goes to Dr. Melissa Miller from the Mt. Holyoke Counseling Center for her helpful seminar and information on healthy sleep habits. 

Elizabeth is a sophmore at Mount Holyoke College in South Hadley, Massachusetts and is studying Politics and Journalism. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, she enjoys reading, dancing, running, dessert, and her summer job as a windsurfing instructor on Lake Michigan.