4 Things I’ll Miss About Mount Holyoke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Today, I finished the last exam of my undergraduate career and the gravity of graduation hit me. In just two weeks, the Class of 2018 will walk across the stage in the amphitheatre and become college graduates, and to be honest, I’m not fully ready. Not because I don’t have something lined up after graduation (I don’t, but if you’re worried, remember that your worth is not defined by jobs and that everything will work out as it should), but because Mount Holyoke has been my home for so long. I still remember walking onto campus as a prospie and immediately feeling like I belonged here. Of course, this might have been due to the fact that it was Spring Weekend and there was fried dough on the green, but also because it’s the most welcoming place I’ve ever been. I’ve learned so much about the world and myself, I’ve gotten hurt, I’ve fallen in love, I’ve travelled, and done so much more, all thanks to Mount Holyoke and the community here, so while I’m fully ready to not do homework for a little while, I’m going to miss so much about Mount Holyoke. While this list certainly isn’t exhaustive, here are some of the things that I’ll miss the most.

1. The Professors

Photo Courtesy of MHC

I knew what I wanted to major in before I came to Mount Holyoke; in fact, I chose Mount Holyoke in part because of the wonderful International Relations program, but I had no clue how influential and wonderful the professors here would be. Professors at Mount Holyoke truly care about you as an individual and will work with you to be successful. They’re also sensitive, intelligent, and kind, which has been so helpful during those times when even getting out of bed was hard. I’m grateful to my advisor (Professor Hashmi) and to every professor I’ve had here. Because of y’all, I am more knowledgeable, a better debater, a better writer, and a better person.

2. My friends

Gif credit

I wasn’t sure if I would make friends at Mount Holyoke because I tend to be pretty shy in new situations, but upon joining my orientation group, I immediately made two wonderful friends and have essentially made a new friend every week since August of 2014. This is not because I’m so friendly, but because everyone here is so genuine and kind. I have never competed with a classmate to see who could be the most stressed or get the best grades; instead, I’ve always been encouraged and cheered on by my friends and classmates. The people I’ve met through classes, ResLife, the 2018 Class Board, Hope of Haiti, Her Campus, or just in Blanch have changed my life for the better, and I am endlessly grateful to them. To the Class of 2018, I have no doubt that all of you will go on to change the world. Thank you for being so enthusiastic, so smart, so determined, and so supportive. To the Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021, I am so proud of everything you’ve accomplished thus far, and please know that I will be rooting for you every step of the way.

3. The beautiful campus

Image courtesy of US News and World Report

If I’m honest, I haven’t spent much time outside the past four years (or ever in my life), due in large part to agoraphobia and a hatred of dirt, but even I have to admit that our campus is breathtaking, and I know that wherever I live after graduation probably won’t compare. From the green grass and blue skies in the summer, when everyone looks so happy (even when they’re stressed), to the gorgeous foliage of fall, to the snow globe-esque Winter Wonderland that our campus becomes when it snows, to the amazing spring flower show, we truly are blessed to have such a stunning campus and I’m going to miss it so much!

4. The opportunities MHC has afforded me

Image credit

There are so many resources here to help you be as successful as possible and the real world does not offer you those same resources (although you do still have access to our lovely Alum Network after graduation). Thanks to the different offices and departments on campus, I became a Senior Community Advisor, a co-CC for HC Mt Holyoke, and many other things that have truly changed my life. I was also able to study abroad at the University of Sussex and visit Washington, DC to meet alums working in public policy and politics.

I’m a better, kinder, more confident, and more knowledgeable person thanks to Mount Holyoke. I’ve grown and changed and learned more about myself, and for that I will be forever grateful to this institution and the people who have made it what it is. I know that MoHome isn’t perfect (that’s a different article altogether), but there is no place I would have rather spent the last four years.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Lyssi Joseph

Mt Holyoke '18

Lyssi Joseph is a Mount Holyoke graduate who majored in International Relations and minored in Geography. She loved the three years that she served as co-Campus Correspondent for HC Mount Holyoke and is grateful to her co-CC, Deborah, and the amazing members of the team for making these past three years so wonderful. She is excited to follow along and see how HC Mount Holyoke continues to grow and excel. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, and napping.