This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

Right now, the world can seem anything but bright. If you’ve turned on the T.V. or seen any ads on Facebook, the phrase “these unprecedented times” may come to mind. “These unprecedented times.” No matter how redundant these three words seem, they’re the truth. Our everyday lives have been turned upside down, sending whole societies into uncertainty. And where there’s uncertainty, you can find fear.

Fear has been injected into every nation worldwide as a result of the pandemic. I believe this to be especially true for the United States. While fear is a very normal human reaction, I feel it has caused Americans to divide more than they were before. More than ever, it’s essential to remain positive, even in uncertainty and fear. It’s tempting to give in to despair and absorb the world’s negativity, but we must be strong and not cave under the load. Fortunately, a helpful way to deflect negativity is simple – take a break from social media!

Social media seems to be more of a battleground now, with political arguments and heated debates. It became overwhelming for me to read comments on news articles because of the spiteful back-and-forth. People are using their feed to spew hateful rhetoric, not caring for the pain it causes others.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you going off the grid for a day, a week, a month – however long you need to refresh yourself! Realistically, social media fasts won’t create world peace any faster. However, use your break to focus on things that bring you joy and make life sweeter. Replace time you would spend online with hiking, starting a new exercise routine, baking – anything that rejuvenates or helps you grow as a person.

If you aren’t ready to take a break quite yet, that’s fine, too! It can be difficult to resist checking social platforms throughout the day. If possible, avoid reading comments on posts that might be controversial. Unfollow people who have consistently flooded your feed with posts that are less than inspiring or encouraging. Restrain yourself from online debates with strangers. It’s unlikely either one of you is going to have a change of view, and the back-and-forth will quickly drain you.

Please remember that social media is what you make of it. When we focus on the positives in our world and lives, we are better equipped to mentally handle the negatives.

-Anna Tye

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_