Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach-Girls Laughing At Night
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

How to Deal With a Toxic Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

There comes a time in everyone’s life where they realize that a friendship goes from being healthy to toxic. Whether it is someone not valuing your time or you feel like a friendship tends to be a chore, it may just be time to cut off this kind of friendship. This is a lot easier said then actually done. But here are some tips that may be helpful if you are wanting to end a friendship.  

Talk to them

This may be intimidating to do at first, but it is essential to explain to your friend that you have concerns about the friendship. But make sure that you approach it in a constructive way. You don’t want the person to feel attacked because this can lead to more problems. Everyone isn’t perfect, so keep that in mind when you talk to your friend. Just be empathetic and listen to what they have to say. 

Distance Yourself

This will give you time to evaluate the relationship and to reflect on it. This will also let you see what value that the relationship has on your life. You may find that it may have positive or negative attributes on not being around this person. This would be a good time to write down exactly what you find toxic about the friendship. It is a good time for self reflection and may give you a peace of mind that you may have been craving. 

It’s OK to miss your friend

If you decide on ending the friendship, it is normal to miss that friendship that you once had. You just have to remember that you are making a decision that will positively impact your life in the long-run. It is healthy to remember the good times and still reminisce the memories that were made in the past. 

Talk to your other friends

If you are having problems with a friendship, it is always helpful to get an outside view on the situation. Find someone that may not be friends with this person and express your issues that you have and that you are thinking about ending the friendship. They will most likely try to give advice on whether the friendship is worth pursuing. 

Possibly make new friends 

It is always a good thing to step out of your comfort zone and talk to new people. Even though making new friends can be hard at times. But you never know who you may click with or you may find someone that gives you what you need that was lacking in the friendship that you had ended. 

All in all, ending a friendship is never going to be easy. But it is important to remember that a friendship is supposed to uplift you, not bring you down. It can feel like a heartbreak, but just remember that it is going to take a lot of time and patience.