This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

With 2019 coming to an end, we are all reflecting on the best moments of the decade. In these past ten years, there has been a surge of social media with the rise of YouTube and the birth of Tik Tok, along with some jaw-dropping albums and blockbusters. So, with the new year coming fast, here is a recap of my favorite moments of the 2010s.

2010

Despite being in middle school when this decade started, I still clearly remember the hype around the hype of “Twilight”. With the release of the series’ third movie installment, the trend of loving vampires continued with the production of shows like HBO’s “True Blood”. This was also the year of Facebook, which was perfect for updating your status between commercials of “Vampire Diaries” or after your midnight viewing experience of “Twilight: Eclipse”.

2011

As a self-identifying Potterhead, it was hard to see the end of the “Harry Potter” movie franchise with the release of “Deathly Hallows: Part 2” in July 2011. However, the wizarding world still lives on through the new Fantastic Beasts spinoff movies and of course, our fond memories. 

Speaking of the Brits, 2011 was also the year of the Royal Wedding between Britain’s Prince William to Kate Middleton, which was televised and viewed by nearly two billion people. Adele also appeared on the pop music scene during 2011 with her hit single “Rolling in the Deep,” followed by a performance of “Someone Like You” at the MTV Music Video Awards.

2012

At the end of the decade, Marvel released the conclusion of their superhero franchise, but it was born and flourished in 2012 with the first installment of “Avengers,” earning the studio $1.5 billion worldwide. 2012 was also the beginning of the teen dystopian films trend with the release of “Hunger Games” with Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson.

In terms of music, no song encapsulates the nostalgia like Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe.”

2013

I can’t write this article without mentioning Beyonce; in 2013, she rocked the Super Bowl alongside Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams for a Destiny’s Child reunion. The women of pop music in 2013 took over the airwaves; Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and more ruled the Top 40 radio and though some people debate who did the best, I am just grateful for powerful talented women on the charts.

2014

2014 was comparatively light in pop culture events, but the content didn’t disappoint. As a long time fan of John Green, I was incredibly excited to see the screen adaption of “The Fault in Our Stars.” It was worth all of the tissues. My favorite moment of 2014, however, was the release of Taylor Swift’s “1989,” which remains to be my favorite album of hers. 

2015

After the television show “Glee” revived America’s love for musicals, it was no surprise to me that such Broadway hits like “Hamilton” came to be. Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of “In the Heights” wrote the musical based on the biography about the Founding Father. The hip-hop soundtrack and diverse cast make up one of the hottest-selling shows on Broadway. If you’re not a fan of history, no worries.

2016

Things got a little stranger in 2016. With the rise of Netflix, they released “Stranger Things,” which became a smash hit. Soaked in ‘80s nostalgia, the show has inspired Halloween costumes and tons of fun merchandise. With a resurgence of nostalgia, 2016 also offered many reboots. My favorite one was the highly anticipated return of Lorelai and Rory in “Gilmore Girls.” I dug out my Dean vs. Jess vs. Logan shirt and hibernated to watch it for a holiday binge.

2017

From the #MeToo movement to the debut of “Riverdale,” 2017 gave us a lot to contemplate. Though CW’s “Riverdale” has offered dark and mysterious content, some shows released in 2017 didn’t have such feelings. Netflix’s original show “Thirteen Reasons Why,” based on the young adult novel of the same name, stirred up controversy. Since it’s release, the show has received an overload of backlash regarding its approach to depicting dark topics including suicide and sexual assault, both of which are topics that have received more attention in conversation in recent years. 

2018

2018 was a gem in the past decade. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper were in another remake of “A Star is Born,” which went on to be nominated several awards. One of the bigger surprises of the year was the engagement and disengagement of Pete Davidson and Ariana Grande. However, there were a few celebrity couples that married in 2018 including Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra, and Justin Bieber and Hailey Baldwin.

2019

2019 has been a great year for music and movies. The Jonas Brothers came back together for a reunion with their hit song “Sucker,” Harry Styles has taken over our hearts and “Avengers: Endgame” got us crying in theaters again. My favorite moment in pop culture this year, however, was Taylor Swift’s jaw-dropping performance at the American Music Awards. Honored as Artist of the Decade, she performed her entire discography, despite facing backlash from her previous record label. 

These were only some of the pop culture moments of the past decade. With the last ten years to look back at, I’m excited to enter a new era.

Zoe Hall

Montevallo '22

Zoe is a senior journalism student at the University of Montevallo. She served as EIC of the campus newspaper, The Alabamian, last year. When she's not writing, Zoe enjoys coffee, reading, thrifting and photography.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.