Style

Broke & Boujee: How to Dress Like a Million Bucks on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

If you’re as much of a shopaholic as I am, it can be hard to refrain from spending a lot of money on clothes – I end up caving anyway. However, I’ve found a lot of shopping tips that help my outfits look more expensive than they actually are. Style is in the presentation, not the price tag.  Here are my style tips for balling on a budget. 

Accesorize to the nines

Jewelry is the easiest way to spice up an everyday look. To achieve this, I wear a watch and earrings- hoop earrings are really in right now.  Necklaces, bracelets, anklets, and rings are all nice pieces to wear as well. A statement purse, scarf, hat or headscarf can also draw attention to a boring outfit.

When buying trendy jewelry, keep the mindset of “the cheaper, the better”.  You can find packs of jewlery for a good price so that way you can have a variety of different looks. INSIDER’S TIP: I buy my hoops from beauty supply stores. 

Take your plain tee to the next level

Spicing up my regular plain tee is the easiest way I make my outfits look like I put more effort into them than I actually did. I never just wear a t-shirt normally. It’s always either tied, tucked, or french tucked. These are simple ways to make a plain, or printed shirt look more stylish.

Don’t avoid expensive stores entirely

When shopping expensive stores, intimidation can get the best of you, but you’re missing out on the hidden gems of the clearance racks. Often times, I find high quality pieces with better deals than regular priced items at fast fashion stores.

Even if you do decide to shop at a budget friendly store, you should still hunt through the marked down stuff! This does take some time, but some of my cutest clothes are from the clearance rack. Both of my tops above came from the Forever 21 clearance section.

You like my hair? Gee, thanks, just changed it up! 

If you’re anything like me, you typically wear your hair the same every day. However, switching up your hair to compliment your outfit really makes a difference. For example, if you’re wearing a fancy top or dress, a high ponytail or bun will make the outfit stand out anymore. If your outfit is kind of plain, wearing your hair down and wavy or curly will make it pop a bit more.

Invest in your “basics” wardrobe too

My last, and most emphasized, piece of advice is to buy basic pieces! Solid color pants, and tops especially, are very easy to dress up or down. It’s easier to mix and match with a plain, black shirt than it is with a heavily printed top. I get all of my solid color tanks and t-shirts from Forever 21. If you’re looking to get out of a style rut, I seriously recommend challenging yourself to style a basic piece five different ways for one workweek. 

I’m a very strong believer that if you look good, you feel good. Looks don’t mean everything, but with all of the stress that comes with college, feeling unsatisfied with your appearance shouldn’t have to also factor in. Aside from the tips I listed, the biggest tip I can give is to have confidence. Whether you leave your room in your pajamas or the most expensive outfit on campus, feeling good is all that matters!

Miranda Greene

Montevallo '23

Miranda is a Junior at the University of Montevallo & editor/writing director of the Her Campus Montevallo chapter.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.