This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

From writing to video editing, being a Mass Communication Student is harder than you think. 

Wanting to Go Off the Grid but Remembering Social Media is Your Career

There’s nothing more exhausting than waking up to beautiful girls with toned bodies and couples on picturesque vacations. Sometimes you just want to delete all of your social media for a zen social media detox and then you remember your entire career revolves around social media. 

When the Associated Press Makes a New Grammar Rule You Disagree With

I mean who decided against the Oxford Comma?

When You Get to Play With the Green Screen

Perks of being a Mass Com Major.

When You’re Trying to Teach Yourself Premiere Pro 

Mood. 

When People Say Mass Com Majors Are Stupid

Yeah, okay, let’s talk when you’re the one juggling 7 jobs for one salary.

When You Have an Essay Due in Every Class but You’ve Already Written Over 5 Articles for Your Journalism Class

It’s too much.

Daydreaming About the Day You Work for Cosmo Instead of Writing About Local News

If I have to write more article about SGA elections…

When Your Conservative Family Members Talk About Fake News as if You’re the Problem

“I just want to write about fashion”

Treating Yourself After Doing the Bare Minimum of Emailing Someone an Interview Time

Self care is vital.

When You Finish Writing the Lede

Phew.

Finding Out Being a Journalist Isn’t Anything Like the Movies and You’re Going into Debt to Make 30,000 a Year 

Crying emoji.

When You See Your Article Idea on a News Site

C’MON. 

When You Show Your Family Your Published Work and They Say Cool

Where is my Pulitzer? 

“Be prepared to get arrested, sued, threatened, and stalked”

Thanks for the warning, prof. 

What are your experiences as a Mass Com Major?

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.