Style

Your Ultimate Spring Fashion Guide: Dos and Don’ts for This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Transitioning from a frosty winter into a sunny but windy spring can be difficult. Sometimes shopping is such a hassle because of how much the temperature varies from the morning, afternoon and night. If I don’t layer up, I’m freezing for my 8 AM class. If I wear too many layers, I’m sweating by my 1 PM class. Here are some tips to combat this weird weather-confused season.

DO Layer light pieces

Wearing two layers of light clothing can keep you warm enough for the morning chill and cool enough for the afternoon sun. For example, if your morning weather is looking 50 degrees and cloudy, but the afternoon is a warm 70 degrees, try layering a tube top with a sweater and a pair of boyfriend jeans. Wearing a comfy sweater for the morning and easily tie it around your waist for a pop of color when it gets warmer!

DON’T wear a plain top/hoodie

Instead of wearing a plain top or hoodie, try an alternative: wear something with prints and layer it with a plain jacket that will even out the colors in your outfit. Animal prints are BIG this year; try shopping for anything leopard, cheetah or snakeskin. If you want to stay on the safe side, try a solid colored top with different colored stripes.

DO wear something that will pop

Wear pops of color and don’t be scared of standing out! If you’re used to wearing all neutral colors year-round, try adding in a statement piece that will make your outfit pop! Try colored jeans instead of plain blue or black jeans, a fun hat or a bright bag.

DON’T wear an outfit full of dark colors

It’s springtime! Try not to wear colors like gray, black, brown or navy. Instead, mix those dark winter colors with fun, bright colors like pastels or neons. Try using that transition of the weather to really play with the colors in your closet.

DO layer accessories

Now that you’re not all bundled up in sweaters and coats, it’s time to accessorize. This is the perfect way to take a plain outfit to the next level. Layer chokers with necklaces, rings with midi rings, bracelets with a watch or a pair of sunglasses. Add these details can improve any outfit that feels a little boring or needs something extra.

DON’T stick to lounge clothes

Save those leggings or sweats for the next slumber party with the girls. If you want to be comfy and cute without the feel of tight fit jeans, try a loose fit jean instead. Go for a mom or boyfriend jean; it still has that baggy feel that you looove from your sweats. Make it cute: add a belt to really snatch that waist, a crop top, and a light jacket and you’re done.

Whether it’s 50 degrees in the morning or 70 degrees in the afternoon, keep your spring outfits comfy and versatile for your days on campus!

Giselle Huasipoma is a Communication & Media Arts student with a strong passion for writing, fashion and digital media. Whether she's posting on her own personal blog or editing articles for Her Campus Montclair, Giselle's is set on her ultimate career goal; working at an agency pitching all of her creative ideas!
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.