Wrapping the Year in a Bow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We are near the end of the year and come 2013, it’s a fresh start for us all! Time to leave the past in the past and look onto the future. There are things we’ve done this past year that we may not be proud of. However, it shouldn’t be something to dwell on. The more you dwell on it, the more stress you’ll experience. Give yourself a break and start the new year with these easy resolutions!

1. I’m sure most of us will pack on a few holiday pounds but it’s not the end of the world, ladies! Starting this January, you can set small goals to lose those few extra pounds and even some more for the summer. You don’t have to go crazy. The bigger goals you set, the harder it will be. When you set small goals and you reach them, you can be super proud of yourself and that is just more motivation for you to keep on going!
  2. Didn’t do so well the last semester? It’s okay! There’s always room for improvement. This is where you can learn to manage your time much better. A lot of us are constantly distracted by social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc, or just plain television. Instead of procrastinating by social networking and watching television, think about all the time you’re spending doing that stuff when you can be doing your schoolwork. The faster you get your schoolwork out of the way the faster you’ll be able to do all the other things you want to do. I know sometimes you don’t want to do school work, but if you want to achieve those great grades, then you have to kick yourself in the booty to get them. Here’s an idea: delete your Facebook account or even turn off your Wifi on your computer when doing schoolwork. Trust me, it’ll make a difference.
  3. As we get older we tend to leave the womb and not think so much about those who’ve raised us. Call your parents more often! I’m sure the sound of your voice would make their day or even week.  
  4. Resolve to do something you’ve never done before, face a fear of yours, or learn something new. Ride a rollercoaster, climb a mountain, go to the Empire State Building, etc. Learn a recipe, word, game, etc. You’ll feel very cool.
  5. Everything is money these days and there comes a point where we have to stop relying on our parents. Seek out a job this year! When you’re making your own money, you’ll appreciate it much more and feel great about yourself.
  6. Start off every morning with saying aloud what you’re grateful for. Just to remind yourself of all the great things in your life. You’ll start your day on a positive note and end your day on a positive note. It’s simple! Start being thankful for what you have and stop complaining about what you don’t have.
  7. Say “no” when you’re overwhelmed! Don’t feel like you have to conquer the world. Everyone has his or her limits. Once you’ve reached yours it’s okay to say “no” to anything that comes your way.

Sticking to resolutions isn’t always the easiest, but when you do stick to them, you can feel really good about yourself. Wishing you all the best of luck and the happiest of holidays. If you’ve stuck to any of these resolutions pat yourself on the back and let us know! 

Photo Source:

1

I'm an eternal optimist, aspiring PR girl, fashionsta and friend. I love my position at Her Campus Montclair. Being Editor-in-Chief has taught me how to manage time, be creative with content, and most of all, how to be an effective leader. I'm currently the social media manager at the New Yorker Hotel and Manhattan Center in NYC. When I was the social media director for HC Montclair, I learned just how incredible being connected with the world could be for any business. Social media has become a part of almost everyone's life. I adore it for all it can do and hope to one day own a social media consulting firm that can go into struggling businesses or start up businesses and help them out.