Life > Experiences

Working at a Golf Course as a Woman Takes a Lot of Balls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I started working at a golf course in April of this year. I was nervous at first because I had never even held a golf club before, so how was I supposed to help other people buy them? After a month or so, I had the basics down. Driver, iron, putter, hybrid, and I memorized the popular brands like Titleist and Callaway. There was a lot of new information coming my way daily, and I had to take it all in.

One of the hardest bits of information to take in was that golfers make sexist comments more often than they make par. 

Most of the comments I get stemmed from ignorance, of course. Male golfers have a mindset that women are dumb, they know nothing, and they especially know nothing about the almighty sport: golf. 

VptHDKxiHjlDDF2TwA9mYa4

I’ve been working at the golf course for five months now, five days a week and working plenty of shifts alone. I do a lot for the members, like posting their match scores, giving them their winnings, ordering their clubs, shipping their clubs out, etc. 

Yet, when they come in they ask: “Is there someone here that can actually help me?”

I’ve gotten to the point where I go along with it and play dumb: “Oh no, sir, I’m sorry. I don’t know how to swipe a credit card. I guess you can’t have this shirt, I’ll have to wait for a pro.”

It’s hard not to take things so personally, especially when the need to keep your job prevents you from speaking up for yourself. It’s 2021 but women still don’t get the respect they deserve.

I want to end on a positive note because there are some great parts of the job. I met one of my best friends there, and we’re able to bond over our golf course trauma. I also have met some amazing members. For every nasty comment I get there’s always three compliments coming from my favorite members. It’s a great feeling to be told, “You’re doing a great job,” “I just wanted to come in to see my girls,” or “You guys have made this place better.” The relationships I’ve built make everything worth it, and I’ve gained some serious life experience. Dealing with rich people gives you a great set of interpersonal skills. 

There are good days and bad days at the course, just like anywhere else. No matter how much I complain about it, I love my job. However, I could do without the misogynistic comments.

I’m Jada Bonilla, a contributing writer for HerCampus. My main goal when writing an article is to create an open conversation about the topic. Motivating others to think deeper about issues is important to me. I think different points of view are so valuable and I love to hear other peoples ideas and opinions. I express my own ideas through creativity, HerCampus gives me the chance to channel that creativity.