This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

My Netflix queue is about a million miles long, but there are a few shows and films I’ll always come back to. These titles present inspiring women that are written with complexity and heart. They’ve taught me something and given me new understandings about life. Here’s an ode to my favorite fictional females.

Angela Chase from “My So-Called Life”

I watched “My So-Called Life” on repeat for all four years of high school, which Angela famously described as “a battlefield for your heart.” Every episode is narrated with internal monologue and makes the series feel like a visual diary. Angela asks questions and challenges the stigmas presented in her sheltered suburban neighborhood. She also shares really difficult truths about her feelings and the absurd concept of “growing up.” I definitely recommend having a box of tissues handy. The best thing about this character is that she’s strong because of her vulnerability. Angela taught me that being emotional and empathetic is a sign of strength.

Elle Woods from “Legally Blonde”

Although Elle may be the living embodiment of a Barbie doll, she’s anything but fake. The classic story of sorority sister turned attorney reminds us to never underestimate our potential and to never rely on superficial appearances. Elle’s journey may start as a way to impress a former boyfriend, but she learns that she is the main character of her own story. Not only will Elle teach you the patent pending “bend and snap,” she’ll also motivate you to set bigger goals and reach them without breaking a nail. Elle proved that being ambitious is beautiful.

Lindsay Weir from “Freaks and Geeks”

Lindsay used to play it safe. She was on the “mathletes” team, getting straight A’s, and expected to graduate at the top of her class. She was also extremely isolated and unhappy, and felt pressure to fit into a mold of what other people expected her to be. “Freaks and Geeks” shows her trajectory into the person she wants to become – someone who marches to the beat of her own drummer and stands up for the outcasts in her high school. Lindsay reminded me that it’s okay to be different.

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.