Why Tik Tok Has a Point About Romanticizing Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Have you ever come across aesthetically pleasing vlogs on your “For You” page? It’s become a common sight on Tik Tok to see people recording and posting snippets of their daily lives. Sometimes, you can see how much went into making it look aesthetically pleasing, but there are others that are very casual. The point is that this is a trend that has never stopped. People still post these Tik Toks, romanticizing their everyday life in doing so. 

The #romanticizeyour life trend originated from Tik Tok user Ashely Ward’s video, which was posted over two years ago now. The trend still hasn’t died. There are many people who still enjoy making these videos and feeling like their life is a movie, just like how there are still many people who enjoy watching these videos.

It might seem a little silly, but I think it’s a great idea to romanticize your daily life. I’m not saying that you should record everything and post it on Tik Tok. It’s completely up to you what you record and whether you post it or not. Consider making the videos for yourself, or maybe even no videos at all. You might not feel the need to record to romanticize your life. The point is to find the beauty in these small moments. 

When you think about it, you should be seeing yourself as the main character because it’s your life. Sometimes, life can be overwhelming, and everything going on might be what’s stopping you from seeing the good things happening, big or small. From getting an award to getting a cup of coffee (which, as a college student, can be a need), seeing these moments from the perspective of a story can make them even bigger than they might already be. It can allow you to appreciate them more. 

I’ve recently tried getting into the habit of doing this. It might work for you, and it might not. But I feel like it’s definitely helped me with better appreciating the little things, and all these little things can amount to a lot. You don’t need to live in a big house with perfect lighting and have a super rich lifestyle to romanticize your life. You can romanticize something as simple as your drive to school or work. Notice and appreciate all the little things that happen in your life. 

See yourself as the main character because that’s who you are already. We tend to forget that sometimes, but it’s never too late to change that.

Selena is a senior majoring in Communication & Media Studies. She loves books, watching TV shows, makeup, social media, and writing.