This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Since we’re all stuck inside and apart from our usual social escapades, the streaming business has become all we can do. I’ve come to love one specific show in a new way- Saturday Night Live.

For those who don’t know, or for those whose parents showed them the classic TV staple, Saturday Night Live is a show that airs every Saturday at 11 pm. It consists of a host and a musical guest. The same group of cast members bounce from season to season and come up with skits, often based on current trends or news. The show has been a NYC classic since 1975. SNL has created some of our favorite comedians, such as Mike Myers, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Eddie Murphy, Pete Davidson and Kate McKinnon. It’s even spawned movies such as Wayne’s World, Superstar, and Coneheads

Recently, my family opened a Hulu account. In my late-night attempt to find something lighthearted to watch after a five-hour binge of A Handmaid’s Tale, I found Saturday Night Live. It started as an episode but ended up bouncing around watching episodes with my favorite celebrities as hosts. I even went back several decades to watch old episodes and see how the show has changed.

SNL is so worth the binge. Most of the recent seasons are on Hulu right now. One of the coolest things you can do is actually watch their reaction to events that have already happened- like the entire last election. Alec Baldwin and Kate McKinnon did excellent jobs mocking Donald Trump and Hilary Clinton, respectively. 

Colin Jost and Michale Che currently host “The Weekend Update”-  a weekly bit that essentially gives the updates of the week’s news, and promptly mocks it. It’s interesting to hear about the news from the past and how they made fun of it.

A few weeks back, the group of current cast members did a season premier skit over Zoom. They are currently unable to film shows, but this was a great way to keep us updated on their lives. 

If you’re bored and home and looking for that “after a too serious show binge” show, SNL could be a great next watch! 

Courtney White

Montclair '22

Courtney is a senior at Montclair State University majoring in journalism and minoring in fashion. She is also working on a certificate for makeup artistry. Originally from a very small town in Northeast Pennsylvania, she plans to live in New York with career aspirations in the media or fashion industries
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.