Three-Year Reflection From the Beginning of COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

By Hailey Mayewski

Contributing Writer 

It’s been three years.

I genuinely feel like time has flown in a way I can’t describe. While the initial coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown happened three years ago in March, the time in between has been fast yet vital. 

When the pandemic began I was an 18-year-old in the middle of my first-ever spring semester. I vividly remember sitting in one of my writing classes where the room had a beautiful view of New York City. We were all freaked out because COVID-19 was in New York City. 

The next day I embarked on my first ever college spring break where I got the email saying that we will not be returning. My friend and I were walking on the second floor of the Willowbrook mall and we both got the notification. I was wearing a red Montclair State University sweatshirt and a group of people came up to us asking us if we heard the news. I was honestly so shocked and confused. 

It is still so painful for me to admit that I thought the school was being dramatic. I was naive to think this would be something that only lasted a week or two. Well here I am three years later, and people still are suffering from this virus. 

I like to look at the COVID-19 pandemic in “seasons” like a TV show. “Season 1” stretched from March 2020 – May 2020. That was the time when I didn’t leave my house at all. The time of whipped coffee and “Tiger King.” The only time I saw anyone was outside, six feet apart, with masks on. 

I remember being so ecstatic when my family would come for these outdoor visits. This is something that has really stuck with me. During this “season,” I remember looking at photos of my whole family in my grandparents’ house opening Christmas gifts.

Each time we are all together now is much more appreciated by not just me, but everyone.

“Season 2” of the pandemic would be in the summer of 2020. Where we were still extremely cautious, but I felt able to go out more. This is the summer I started dating my boyfriend. It’s interesting that our relationship began toward the beginning of the pandemic because people are always shocked to hear that we started dating in the terrible year that 2020 was. 

While COVID-19 continues to linger, so does the impact the shuttle down had on me. My entire adult life has been consumed by this virus since I was just 18 when it began. Sometimes I feel behind because of this. Essentially, my four-year college experience was really pushed down to two in-person years. 

It’s crazy to think that I am now a graduating senior and this all began when I was a freshman. While I hope we never repeat “Season 1,” I think it is important to look back on those times. No one was together, yet we all felt a sense of community that I have not found since.

Hailey Mayewski

Montclair '23

Hailey Mayewski is a Junior, journalism major at Montclair State University. She is excited to be a new member of Her Campus Montclair.