Style > Beauty

Sunscreen Should Be Worn Year-Round: Here Are The Best Sunscreens For Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As summer comes to a close, we begin to swap the shorts and sundresses for sweaters and jeans. One thing you shouldn’t eliminate from your daily routine is your sunscreen. Although we associate sunscreen with warmer weather and beach days, it is imperative that you apply it all year round.

The main reason? As you can guess, to avoid skin damage that could lead to skin cancer. Skin damage can also cause fine lines, wrinkles, brown spots and sagging skin. Even though the fall is full of cloudy days, the clouds don’t fully cover the sun’s rays because some end up making it through. It doesn’t matter what the temperature is outside, as long as the sun is out, you need to be protected. They also can make it through the car’s windows, which means that you aren’t as protected as you might believe. The best option is to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects your skin from both UVA and UVB rays. It is also important that you reapply every two to four hours as needed.

Finding a good sunscreen is extremely hard as there are many factors you must consider. After doing extensive research, here are some of the best options of sunscreen with consideration to different skin types, price ranges and clean beauty products:

Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ ($34)
Working with all skin types, clean brand Supergoop! creates an invisible, lightweight and scent-free daily primer to protect your skin while also prepping your skin for makeup. Not only does it protect from sun rays, but it also contains red algae to provide protection from blue light released by electronic devices. It works for all skin types and is also cruelty-free and gluten-free.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen Lotion ($12.49)
Known to be a drugstore favorite, Neutrogena’s water-resistant sunscreen lotion absorbs quickly into your skin to provide a weightless feel and an invisible look. Non-shiny and non-sticky, it is great for application after moisturizer.

Glossier Invisible Shield ($25)
A water-gel formula that feels like a serum, Glossier’s lightweight sunscreen contains SPF 35 for full protection. No greasy residue or white cast, this product also holds makeup well. It is dermatologist tested and appropriate for all skin types.

Black Girl Sunscreen Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 ($15.99)
Catered to darker skin tones, Black Girl Sunscreen doubles as a moisturizing lotion and a lightweight base for overall protection. It is also water-resistant for up to 80 minutes. A sheer formula that dries clear and leaves no residue behind. Vegan and reef-friendly.

Sun Bum Sunscreen Lotion SPF 70 ($15.99)
Well known brand Sun Bum provides a moisturizing sunscreen with high levels of SPF. It also contains Vitamin E, which protects from premature skin aging, and the original Sun Bum scent. Although it has high levels of SPF, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep reapplying every two to four hours.

Dr. Dennis Gross All-Physical Lightweight Wrinkle Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 ($42)
A bit on the pricey side, Dr. Dennis Gross’ sunscreen contains Non-Nano Zinc Oxide, a mineral filter that protects from UV rays and blue light. It also contains Lingonberry, a source of vitamins C and E, and Sea Buckthorn, which targets signs of aging. It is suitable for all skin types and is vegan, fragrance-free, cruelty-free, gluten-free and reef safe.

If you prefer to have your sunscreen mixed in with your makeup products, here are some options that might work best for you:

Camo CC Cream, E.L.F. Cosmetics ($14)
This full-coverage CC cream is a good choice for a lightweight product with a natural finish. It has SPF 30 to protect against sun damage. The product also contains collagen, peptides and niacinamide to help improve skin texture and tone. 100% vegan and cruelty-free.

Tarte SEA Set & Protect Mineral Sunscreen Powder Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($28)
When needing to reapply throughout the day, it can be a struggle to apply liquid sunscreen if you’re in public or have makeup on. To make it easier, Tarte released a translucent mineral powder containing SPF 30 (with ingredients such as Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide) that allows you to brush it on anytime throughout the day. Not only does it protect your skin from the sun, but it also sets your makeup for up to 12 hours. Vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free.

ILIA Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 Foundation ($48)
For a light and dewy coverage, a tinted serum by clean brand ILIA with mineral SPF 40 is the best choice. It has niacinamide, plant-based squalane and hyaluronic acids (macro and micro) to minimize pores and hydrate skin. Available in a variety of shades to adapt to multiple skin tones. Vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and comes in recyclable packaging.

Allexea Desuyo

Montclair '23

Allexea is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Social Media and Public Relations at Montclair State University. Some of her passions include traveling, taking day trips to NYC, beauty/skincare, and luxury fashion. She hopes to work within the luxury fashion industry, start her own blog and/or as a writer for a fashion magazine. With her articles, she strives to use her knowledge and personal experiences to help others be the best version of themselves.