Sunnies For Your Face Shape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hi ladies! Spring is here and the sun is shining, which means it is officially time to dust off your sunnies – um, YAY! However, finding the perfect pair of sunglasses can be quite a trivial experience but do not fear! Since I have obtained a copious amount of sunglasses over the years, I learned a few things that will help you find the perfect sunglasses no matter what your face shape may be.

Let’s start was a pair of sunglasses that literally fit every face shape…drum roll please….. Cat-eyed sunglasses! Believe me when I tell you that anyone can wear this style of shades and  honestly, who wouldn’t want to? Cat-eyed sunglasses are classics and will never go out of style. My suggestion is finding a subtle Cat-eyed frame, what you want to look for is a small upward curve at the upper-outter corner of the frames and voilà! You’re in business.

If you have a round face, wearing big shades are a must and I say the bigger the better! Wearing small frames will make your face look bigger while wearing bigger shades gives the illusion that your face isn’t so round. If you’re not into oversized shades, give the good ol’ Aviator frames a try.

If you have an oval or square face, wear sunglasses that are more geometric than round, Wearing big round shades will give you a bug-eyed effect and that’s definitely what we don’t want! It’s a little difficult to find sunglasses that aren’t so round but try the Wayfarer style. Not sure what the Wayfarers are? You know those classic Ray-Ban sunglasses? Well, there you go! These style of frames can be found everywhere so don’t think you need to buy the name brand ones just yet!

If you have a heart shaped face, wear sunglasses that are symmetrical on top but round at the bottom. The purpose of wearing these shades is to even out the sharpness of your face shape. Have no idea what I’m talking about? Just look below for some insight!

Lastly, we leave our small shaped faces! This one is a no brainer; if you have a small face wear small frames. Luckily, these days, every pair of sunglasses come in different variations of sizes so you can rock any style of frames as long as they don’t engulf your face.

Remember ladies to have fun with it. Step out of your comfort zone and buy a pair of show-stopping shades, but keep your face shape in mind at all times! I plan on investing in a pair of fire engine red Ray-Bans this season, how about you?

Don’t know what your face shape is? Here’s a little guide:

Photo Sources: 1 2

"Fashions fade, style is eternal" -Yves Saint Laurent