Spring Senior Reflection Looking Toward Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Well, I am almost through the second half of my senior year, and I thought it would be fun to do part two of the senior reflection series from the fall, which you can read here first before reading this article. 

So let’s start with how I feel about the spring classes I signed up for in the fall. I will say this as a tip for future seniors: only take 300-level courses if you want to challenge yourself or if you absolutely need them. I took one 300-level anthropology course for fun this semester because I had a blast learning about that subject in the past 100 and 200-level classes, and it seemed easy for me. Though I did not know they dramatically stepped up a level in reading and instructing, I have been on a bit of a bumpy ride, though I have been doing well. The class that has been the least fun for me is my economics class which I had to take for my business minor. So I can give two pieces of advice here: if you struggle with math, then just remind yourself, you just need to pass with a passing grade and perhaps take these more challenging classes earlier in your college career than later. The rest of my two classes have been easy and enjoyable. 

Now let’s talk about how I have been feeling mentally, and I would call it a rollercoaster. In the fall, I was starting to get nervous about where I would end up after college and asked myself, what’s next? But I was not overwhelmed yet about graduating, as most seniors do go through. Then spring hit and my brain went: I was not getting any paying job offers, thinking I was about to lose writing for Her Campus, losing my booking job at the station, thinking did I have the whole college experience or was I so busy with my academics and so on. So I buried myself in this depressive spiral, worrying about what was next since I am so used to going onto the next big thing already set up. Life is the best answer I could come up with and perhaps the best answer for seniors reading this. You start life and figure out what you want, look at your options, keep applying to jobs, take non-paying internships for experience and take a hometown job, such as working at your local grocery store, to at least have money coming in for yourself. That is my plan for now. It may seem not as exciting and not what I expected, but things take time. 

To those who are struggling to apply for jobs because so many times you have been “rejected” in a way, I am right there with you. How I have worked around that is I apply to a bunch of jobs and then wait for the letters to come in, and then I take a small break from applying and then start applying for jobs a little each week or two weeks, leading to another batch of applying. Also, keep trying to network through LinkedIn. 

Let’s turn to some positive updates from my last article. I left you off while trying to find a job or internship for the spring. Actually, a month after writing the fall article, I got an internship/volunteer position as a Social Media Marketer covering Twitter for an up-and-coming BeatBox company. I have enjoyed every second of it, and it’s been a great learning experience. I have also decided to start my own social media consulting business and have taken on a few clients and am hoping to expand to not only covering my town but the state overtime. I also plan to travel to Florida and New Orleans after I graduate and spend a day in New York City. Lastly, one activity I am pursuing to fill my time after I graduate is reading more and writing poetry. 

Can’t wait for graduation in about six weeks! However my last exam is 25 days as of April 15!

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.