This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Emily Spillar – No Costume Idea? No Problem

Choosing a Halloween costume is always a great time when you actually have an idea. I tend to get stressed out when I can’t think of a costume idea, and scour the Internet for any possible idea. Sometimes all you need is a little inspiration, and that’s what we’re here for. Depending on how much you want to spend on a Halloween costume, you can use the links provided for each idea or all of these can be a DIY project as well! Whether you want to do a solo, couples or friend costume this Halloween, we’ve got you covered.

Solo Costume Ideas:

Whether you like more of a revealing Halloween costume, or something more modest, all of these ideas will work for you! As someone who tries to avoid basic Halloween costume ideas, I rounded up three ideas that aren’t seen as much. 

1. Fairy

A fairy might be a little basic, but you can dress it up however you want! You can turn this costume into the typical, majestic fairy. However, you could also get a little more spooky and turn it into a fairy of darkness costume! The ideas are endless, and you could even make this a group costume if you want!

Top: Dream Fairy Holographic Crop Top

Mini Skirt: Dream Fairy Holographic Mini Skirt

Wings: Dream Fairy Holographic Wings

Heels: Boho Butterfly Stiletto Heels

1. Black Swan

Just like the movie, the “Black Swan”, it’s both scary and sexy at the same time. This costume gives off just the right amount of horror and hotness for a Halloween costume. Depending on the look you want to go for, you can wear a black corset with a tutu, black dress, black shirt and shorts, etc. My favorite part about this idea is not only is it a cute and pretty unique costume, it’s also very easy to put together!

Corset/Tutu set: black-swan-vintage-little-black-dress-elegant-costume-women-s-dress-masquerade-white-black-red-vintage-cosplay-tulle-terylene-sleeveless_p7031377.html

Crown: Dramatic Beauty Rhinestone Crown

1. Freddy Kreuger

Freddy Kreuger is the perfect idea for a horror-filled Halloween costume, if that’s what you’re looking for. You can either buy this costume online/in stores or make it yourself! If you have a red & black striped shirt, black shorts and a fedora, you’re pretty much set. You could also mix/match however you want if you don’t have some of these choices. Attached below is a link to a full costume set, but like I mentioned, you can make it however you like!

Freddy Kreuger full costume: Adult-Women’s Miss Krueger Costume – A Nightmare On Elm Street Size L Halloween | New Line | Halloween Store | Halloween Costumes | Costume Themes | S$50.00Party City

Couples Costume Ideas:

One of my favorite parts of Halloween is seeing the couples costumes people come up with! The ideas are pretty much endless for this category, but I have three ideas lined up for you all. As you might already know, most couples costumes out there are targeted for heterosexual couples. So, to fix this issue and to be more inclusive, I attached different options for each costume down below.

1. Top Gun

“Top Gun: Maverick” was one of the most popular movies that came out this year and one of my personal favorites. I absolutely love this costume idea, and I might even do it with my own partner! This costume is pretty easy to find, but also easy to DIY (do it yourself). Camo and cargo pants are very in right now which makes it easier to put this costume together. However, Fashion Nova has the cutest costumes for this idea!

“Top Gun” Female Option: https://www.fashionnova.com/products/top-gun-flight-1-piece-dress-costume-olive 

“Top Gun” Male Option: top-gun-fly-with-me-flight-suit-costume-khaki

1. Elvis & Priscilla

Another popular movie and another one of my faves this year was “Elvis”. Even though Elvis and Priscilla might have not had the greatest love story, it makes for an adorable couples costume. For both Elvis and Priscilla, you have a lot of different outfit inspirations you could follow. One of my favorite Priscilla looks is her white fringe outfit which is what I attached below. However, you can work with absolutely anything you want!

Priscilla (White Fringe Outfit): https://www.3wishes.com/products/love-me-tender-costume 

Elvis (Men’s Option): Elvis Now Deluxe Aloha Elvis Costume 

Elvis (Women’s Option): Elvis – Women’s White Jumpsuit Elvis Costume – Extra Small$59.98HalloweenExpress.com30-day returns (most items)

1. Batman & Catwoman

You might be able to tell by now that I based all of the couple costume ideas on my favorite movies that came out this year. Even though Batman & Catwoman have been popular costumes for years, it’s still a simple and sexy option for you and your partner. Fashion Nova has a set of both the Batman & Catwoman costume for you and your partner. But, I also attached a Batman & Catwoman Costume Set: Cat Fight 5 Piece Costume Set – Black

Batman Costume (Women’s Option): Women’s Deluxe Batgirl Corset Costume – Small$79.98HalloweenExpress.com30-day returns (most items)

BFF Costume Ideas:

I love a good BFF costume every Halloween. Writing this article actually helped my best friend and I figure out what we’re dressing up for this Halloween as well! I tried to stray away from the angel/devil and other overused costume ideas. Any of these ideas you choose, you and your BFF will look awesome this Halloween!

1. Sleeping Beauty & Maleficent

Although these two might be enemies

1. Kim Possible & Shego

“Kim Possible” was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and I’ve had this idea in the back of my head for a few months now. If you’ve watched the show, you’d know these two are more like frenemies than best friends, but it still makes for an awesome costume. You might not be able to DIY a Shego costume, but Kim Possible is very easy to pull off. All you really need is a black top and green cargo pants, but feel free to accessorize as much or little as you’d like.

Shego Costume

Kim Possible Costume: Long-Sleeved Black Top & Green Cargo Pants

1. Velma & Daphne

Velma & Daphne from “Scooby Doo” make a great BFF costume choice! These two are pretty popular, so you’d be able to find endless options for these costumes. My personal favorites I found were both from Fashion Nova, but feel free to browse other sites too. Both of them are also easy to make with clothes you might already have as well! 

Velma Costume

Daphne Costume

Bonus Group Costume Ideas!

I couldn’t leave you all hanging without some group costume ideas! I didn’t attach a link to any of these ideas, as there would be multiple links. However, with the ideas I gave, I’m hoping you can find or make these costumes yourself!

1. Power Rangers

Power Rangers makes for a great group costume. There are the classic six power rangers, but you can also double up on the same color Power Ranger if you have more than six members in your group. 

1. Disney Princesses

My main inspiration for this costume would be Kylie Jenner and friends circa Halloween 2019. Their costumes were absolutely amazing and could be done in so many different ways. If I could round up enough friends, I would definitely be doing this group costume this Halloween!

No matter what you decide to dress for this Halloween, I hope you have an amazing night! Finding a costume might make you filled with stress and anxiety, but you should always choose something that works best for YOU, not anyone else.

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.