This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s that time of year when school starts back up, and you’re trying to figure out your look for the fall. Will it be throwbacks from the early 2000s, or will it be on-trend with sweatsuits matched with a little bit of bling? Everybody has to figure out their fashion sense. Here are some of my favorite fashion recommendations.

Going Edgy But Still Feminine: From a young age, I have always had a tomboy look. I’ve never been crazy about floral patterns, skirts and other dressy, girly stuff. I lean towards punk/emo but have recently mixed in more feminine pieces. I’ve created my look over the years by shopping at Hot Topic. I love their edgy pants, shirts and accessories. Recently, I’ve also started to shop at Francesca’s for more feminine pieces. Francesca’s is great if you are looking for petite wear. I like to clash together what I’ve bought after shopping and create an outfit that is unique to me.

Fedoras: From the time I was a teenager, I became obsessed with fedoras. I remember my first set that was pink and purple. My love for fedoras was excited by getting a lot of compliments. Every time I wear one, I feel confident and true to my own style. And because fedoras come in all different styles and colors, I have a collection of about thirty that help me complete any outfit.

No Outfit Is Complete Without Accessories: My favorite jewelry accessory is rings. They are easy to take on and off and come in various styles. I know this is unusual, but my current ring set is a total of nine; that one set symbolizes me, and each ring has a meaning. The purpose of each one ranges from showing my love for the environment to mementos from various relatives. I like to mix it up depending on my mood. Most of my rings are on my non-dominant hand so they don’t interfere with writing.

Thrift It: When I go thrift shopping, I look for quirky and unusual pisces, rather than your average thrift store find. In particular, I look for interesting jackets, unusual shirts and pants with weird designs. I sometimes find designer pieces that are bargain-priced. So, on your next thrifting experience, look for those interesting wears and not just your basic blouse or pants. One of my favorite thrift stores is Woodstock Vibes in Hardyston, New Jersey.

Layers: As it gets cooler, layering clothes is a great way to stay warm and mix and match pieces in fun ways. Usually, I like to layer a t-shirt or long sleeve shirt with a cardigan and sometimes a jacket. I also layer my jewelry using necklaces and bracelets. I go with the flow in layering in accordance with the weather.

For me, I don’t think too much about the trending wear of the season; I just rock what I feel comfortable wearing. I think that is the most important thing to look at when picking your outfit. Some days you may feel sexier than others and just want to wear a crop top and sweatpants. Other days you may want to experiment with something new and unusual. The most important thing is not to let someone else’s opinion or bullying determine what you wear. Be true to yourself, experiment and have fun!

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.