My Current 2023 Playlist Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The start of the year also meant the start of my mass annual playlist. While most people have a million playlists designated to every mood, month or vibe there is, I unabashedly create one long list of all the songs I discover throughout the year. Three months in, and my playlist is sadly only at a measly two hours and 21 minutes. 

But with only 42 songs, we have some true goodies. Here are my current 2023 playlist favorites:

“About You” by The 1975

Shoutout to my cousin for posting a story on Instagram to the sped-up Tik Tok version of this song. Three minutes and five seconds in is what makes “About You” so addicting.

“Dream A Little Dream of Me” by The Mamas & The Papas

It’s not the original, but it is the version that Amy Adams and Matthew Goode awkwardly lay in bed together to (when they were clearly struggling to stay platonic) in the rom-com “Leap Year.” You’ll feel your heart float at two minutes and three seconds in.

“angeleyes” by Scoobert Doobert (what a lovely artist name that I really resonate with)

This rendition of ABBA’s 1979 pop song is, for lack of a better word, the “vibiest” you can get. I don’t like that explanation either, but it’s the most accurate one there is. It immediately takes me out of my headspace and turns me into the main character of my own movie.

“She Used To Be Mine” by Sara Bareilles

If you’ve ever missed the person you used to be or felt like you’ve lost yourself along the way at any point in life, this is the one for you. No matter how many times I’ve listened to it, this Broadway ballad hits hard every time.

“Shinunoga E-Wa” by Fujii Kazae

Honey. Fujii Kazae’s voice in this Japanese song is pure honey.

“I’m Always by Your Side” by John Park

I pulled this out of one of my most recent Korean drama watches, “Vincenzo.” It’s the main couple’s theme song and is so different from the music you’d typically hear in a K-drama. It’s upbeat, wholesome and has a doo-wop feel to it.

Most of the “Renaissance” Album by Beyonce

“Energy,” “Cuff It,” “Thique,” “Pure/Honey,” “Cozy,” “Alien Superstar” and “Summer Renaissance” will 100% be in my Spotify Wrapped at the end of the year.

I ask you guys to give any or all of these suggestions a listen. They’re all very different genres, so there might be something there for you! Cheers to many more transcendent song-finds this year!

Megan Lim

Montclair '23

Megan is currently a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Work. Not only does she aspire to be the best writer she can possibly be, but she hopes to be the best version of herself there is at all! Whether that means getting good grades, helping those around her, getting involved, working out, or letting herself binge-watch movies - she wants to do it all. Anything that has to do with self-growth, she's doing it!