This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

New Year’s always gives me the little push I need to spring my goals and promises to myself into action. For me, that usually means hitting the gym more or finally staying consistent with my skincare routine. 

But the start of Lent holds a special place in my heart, motivating me to grow exponentially in my spiritual life. Being Catholic is a huge part of my identity, and the 40 days leading up to Easter are always spent trying my best to grow closer to God, and in turn, my best self. And with that, I’m more than excited to share my plans for prayer, fasting and almsgiving to keep myself accountable.

Here are my 2023 Lenten goals:

PRAYER

• Start my day with the “Ascension Lenten Companion,” a book that guides you to read different Bible passages and reflect each day.
  • End my day with my “Conversion to Christ Companion,” a book that does the same.
  • Say the Lenten Novena.
  • Don’t rush through my prayers for other people. Dedicate more thought to what I say and how often I pray for them.
  • Visit church on my own more often, whether for Mass or just to pray alone.

FASTING

• No red meat through all of Lent + no meat on Fridays at all.
  • No sweets (candy, chocolate, milkshakes, etc).
  • Only one hour of social media a day.
  • Limit drinks to once a week (if at all).

ALMSGIVING

• Volunteer somewhere at least once.
  • Go through my clothes/belongings and donate what I can (spring cleaning).
  • Each time I break a fast, I donate 50 cents, whether a tip jar, a charity, randomly paying for someone in line behind me, etc.

With each of these goals, from thoughtful prayer and denying myself things that are usually part of my daily routine to more time helping others, Lent can be challenging. But this is a reminder to myself and other practicing Catholics that even through the sacrifices, it’s all meant to nudge you to turn to Christ for what you need. Cheers to a fulfilling season where we can grow closer to God and see things in our life align as a result!

Megan Lim

Montclair '23

Megan is currently a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Work. Not only does she aspire to be the best writer she can possibly be, but she hopes to be the best version of herself there is at all! Whether that means getting good grades, helping those around her, getting involved, working out, or letting herself binge-watch movies - she wants to do it all. Anything that has to do with self-growth, she's doing it!