Music Therapy Major and Residential Puppy Owner: Nina Farley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Nina Farley

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Music Therapy

Hometown: Ridgewood, NJ

Hobbies: Singing, knitting, hanging out with friends, sleeping, and binge-watching Netflix.

Fun Fact: In high school, I had to airbrush myself green two times for theatre – once for Shrek the Musical, and the other time for the part of Elphaba in Wicked. After both of those times, my skin was stained green and I had to show up to school with green skin for a week after!

Okay, let’s delve deeper…

What gets you through the day?

My dog, Koda. He’s a toy poodle and he has made me happy since the day I got him two years ago…I swear we have some sort of connection. I actually got him registered as my Emotional Support Animal this year, which means that he is able to live with me at college!

What are some words that you live by?

I love the lyrics from the song “Once and Future Carpenter” by The Avett Brothers, “If I live the life I’m given, I won’t be scared to die.”

Who in your life inspires you the most?

My dad! He shows me the best example of what it means to be unconditionally loving towards everyone.

Who or what can always make you laugh no matter what?

My friend Kieran.

Favorites!

Favorite food: Sushi

Favorite beverage: Ginger Ale

Favorite book: “Thirteen Reasons Why” by Jay Asher

Favorite movie: Across the Universe

Favorite band: Bright Eyes

Favorite season: Fall

Favorite time of day: 2AM

Now, about school…

What brought you to Montclair State?

The great music program that I am a part of here.

What is your favorite thing about MSU?

The accepting environment that gave me some of my best friends!

What made you decide to major in Music Therapy?

I was actually given music therapy myself during some rough patches in high school. I have always been passionate about music and helping other people, so I want to give back with the way music has helped me and pursue a fulfilling career.

What is your favorite thing about your major?

I have loved having my eyes opened to more and more ways that music can be transformative and life-changing.

What do you hope to pursue with your degree after graduating?

I am hoping to work as a therapist – either for mental health, or as a therapist for children with developmental disabilities.

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.