Style > Beauty

I Switched up My Makeup Routine: Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I hate change so much. When it comes to hair and makeup products, I love being organized and keeping things the way they are. If one product does me wrong, I’ll completely avoid it at all costs. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try out new techniques and products from NYX Cosmetics (my all-time favorite makeup brand). I went on a little shopping spree and my skin has never been the same. Before I switched it up, I only put on some concealer, brows and mascara. I’ve taken my routine up a notch by combining my old products with a couple of new ones to make the most affordable, quick and easy makeup routine!

Prepping

Before I start my face, I love using the Innisfree Intensive Hydrating Cream. It’s the perfect moisturizer to use if your skin is feeling groggy, tired and dull. If you’re looking to splurge on a really good moisturizer, this is the one! No matter how your skin feels throughout all the seasons, this green tea jar of goodness will always adjust with your beautiful skin.

Innisfree, ($24)

For priming my face, I use the NYX Bare With Me Perfecting Primer. I’ve tried out a handful of primers and none of them does it like this one, by far. I love looking dewy year-round and this base really gets my face to that perfect glowy look! It has tiny micro shimmers that aren’t overwhelming or tacky; just the right amount to make you feel like you’re on top of the world.

NYX, ($15)

If You’re in a Rush…

I get it. Sometimes life falls apart and you have no time to care about your skin. Try out quicker methods instead! (Self-care comes before anything, always remember that.) I like applying my MOOD Refreshed Face Oil followed by spritzing on the NYX Multitasking Spray. The oil helps refresh my skin after my little-to-no sleep days; it’s a total lifesaver! Since it includes 100% hemp-derived CBD, it also calms you on your most stressful days. When I don’t time to apply a cream-based primer, I love having the NYX spray handy. It primes, sets and refreshes your makeup all in one!

MOOD, ($19.95) NYX, ($10)

Face

This completely changed my outlook on foundation. This is the Born To Glow! Radiant Foundation by NYX. I’ve tried so many foundations throughout high school and college that make me look cakey, streaky, that literally peels off my skin, and worst of all, the haunting flashback mary. This foundation gives me a subtle glow and feels so lightweight. It’s also a buildable coverage; I’ve used it for everyday looks and special occasions too! I don’t even use concealer because this gives me enough coverage for blemishes and dark circles.

NYX, ($10)

Along with foundation comes a good foundation brush. Your foundation won’t look airbrushed if you’re using the wrong brush. I actually found out about this brush through the College Beauty Awards! I didn’t want to use any brush or blender for my skin; I wanted something affordable that does the job. The Sonia Kashuk Flat-Top Foundation brush has been giving me flawless, airbrushed foundation for daaays. It’s so easy to blend foundation out and does it so quickly as well!

Sonia Kashuk, ($10)

Eyes

Everyone goes through that depressing phase of crappy brows. Yes, some of us are bald under that brow makeup; let’s be real. My saving grace has been the NYX Precision Brow Pencil. Since I do have wider, thicker brows, I love using this for a more defined brow. The tip is flat, so it easily gets in-between all the little bald spots for a nice full brow! When I did go through my sad-brow-phase, my brows were thin and barely there. The NYX Micro Brow Pencil really helped me cope with my thin brows. I highly recommend this to any gals that want a fuller brow and haven’t had much experience with pencils!

NYX Precision Brow Pencil, ($10)

To set my brows, I apply the NYX Control Freak Eyebrow Gel. Because I like a more defined look, I like to set my brows in order to keep it looking a little neater. I’ve been using this gel for over a year now and it’s such a staple piece to my makeup routine!

NYX, ($6)

My favorite part about makeup is the eyes; even if I’m in a big rush I always remember to apply mascara. I’ve had an obsession with Too Faced Better Than Sex for a while but after running out, I had to find a good dupe that was actually affordable. Too Faced retails for $25, while L’Oreal’s Lash Paradise retails for only $10! It gives me the same exact results; volume, length and long wear! I think I’ll be sticking with this mascara for a long time, it definitely checks all of my boxes.

L’oreal, ($10)

Setting

I’m currently spritzing on the Milani Make it Last Matte Setting Spray to finish off my face. Yes, it totally sounds contradicting to all the other dewy and glowy products I use, but trust me! If you have a naturally oily T-zone like me throughout the day, I 100% recommend this setting spray. I’ve tested out this whole routine with dewy sprays but it doesn’t hold up my face the way this one does. This Milani product doesn’t make my face feel stiff, dry or crackly like other matte sprays. And more importantly, it doesn’t dull that pretty glow of yours! As someone with sensitive skin, I believe it definitely evens out the entire look and keeps my skin looking soft all day.

Milani, ($10)

My entire makeup routine only takes me 15 minutes in the morning; yes, 15! Sometimes it only takes me 10-12 minutes when I’m taking the prepping shortcut I mentioned above. Makeup doesn’t have to be complicated and annoying to put on in the morning! It can be so much fun and super satisfying when you have the right tools to play with.  Most of all, whether you wear makeup or want to experiment, be happy in your own skin!

All photos by Giselle Huasipoma

Giselle Huasipoma is a Communication & Media Arts student with a strong passion for writing, fashion and digital media. Whether she's posting on her own personal blog or editing articles for Her Campus Montclair, Giselle's is set on her ultimate career goal; working at an agency pitching all of her creative ideas!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.