Style > Fashion

How to Stay Ahead of the Curve? The Rundown of Paris Fashion Week 2023.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Paris Fashion Week is the pinnacle event for celebrities and influencers, featuring the most prestigious runway shows of the year. It’s the biggest of the four global fashion weeks, with New York, London, and Milan following suit.

Paris hosts two significant weeks, one for fall/winter collections in late February to early March, and the other for spring/summer collections in late September to early October. This year’s spring/summer Paris Fashion Week introduced several exciting changes to classic brands, making it a season to watch. Here are three standout shows that in my opinion provide a glimpse into the future of luxury fashion.

Gucci’s Spring 2024 Ready-to-Wear Collection marked a departure from its recent flashy image. Under the new creative director, Sabato De Sarno, Gucci showcased a more subdued and youthful collection. Muted colors replaced neon, and classic elements like the brown logo print and burgundy red were prominently featured. Loose, boxy silhouettes emphasized the concept of comfortable luxury, with one-piece rompers embodying ease and simplicity. This shift towards understated luxury may redefine Gucci’s reputation and bring it back to the forefront of the fashion industry.

Balmain, known for its striking style, surprised the audience with its Spring 2024 Ready-to-Wear Collection. Creative Director Olivier Rousteig presented a more feminine theme, featuring pastel colors, floral prints, and polka dots alongside the brand’s signature gold detailing and structured silhouettes. The collection included stunning couture dresses with glitter and sequins, introducing a fresh aesthetic to Balmain. These changes show the brand’s willingness to take risks and evolve its image.

Christian Dior’s Spring 2024 Ready-to-Wear Collection, under creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri, embraced gothic feminism. The predominantly black-and-white palette, along with androgynous silhouettes, conveyed a rebellious edge. Lace, mesh, and leather were key elements, adding to the collection’s edgy vibe. Despite the edginess, the pieces remained easily wearable, showcasing a new direction for Dior.

In a season filled with iconic moments, many brands dared to take bold risks. Gucci, Balmain, and Dior were just a few examples of brands that deviated from their traditional approaches to fashion. These shows are a must-watch for anyone interested in fashion, offering insight into how the industry will evolve in the coming months. Paris Fashion Week always excites me with its innovations, and this season was no exception, leaving me eager to see what the future holds for the fashion world.

Vrushti Dalal

Montclair '25

Hey everyone, I'm Vrushti Dalal, a junior at Montclair State University majoring in Business Analytics with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. I have an eye for style and a passion for staying ahead of the curve and so I'm thrilled to dive into the world of fashion writing right here at Her Campus. Expect engaging content covering everything from the latest trends to exploring different aesthetics. But my interests extend beyond fashion; I'm equally intrigued by pop culture and media, eager to dissect and discuss their influence. I can't wait to share my thoughts and insights with you all. When I'm not writing, you can find me reading, watching movies, scrolling on Pinterest for inspiration, or playing with my dog, S’mores. Join me on this page as we talk about the exciting intersection of fashion and culture!