How to Decorate Your Tree for Your Inner Posh Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Christmas is splendid time to let out your inner Chanel. It’s the time of year where we must battle the inner “broke and in college” tacky decor or go classy. There’s a way to still be posh on a budget: that’s what we have Target for!

Work out a color scheme

Your Christmas tree doesn’t have to be all the ornaments you made as a kid, mix it up. Pick a color scheme for your tree and get ornaments and bulbs that match it. You can even get ribbon and garland to match the decor. Some places even have fun toppers that match the ornaments they sell. Some great examples are green and gold, pink and black, black and white, and silver and white

Pick a theme

You can also have a theme for your tree. Maybe you see a couple ornaments you like that remind you of something. You could do all blue ornaments and hang up seashells for a mermaid tree or maybe use blue, green, and purple bulbs and hide feathers among the branches for a peacock tree.

Look for intricate ornaments

There’s way more out there other than bulbs! Reach for ornaments like Santa faces and icicles for your tree. Tons can be found at dollar stores or Five Below for affordable prices.

Get a new tree

Get a new tree! Fake trees are so common now it’s more often you see people with a fake tree rather than a real one. Nowadays, they sell trees in every colors. Pastel pink and white are very common now. Fake trees with fake snow are also very cute and can be dressed up with the right decor.

Try a DIY look

Maybe you’re the crafty type. You can make ornaments from tutorials on Pinterest that look classy. Plus, it would make a great holiday party to invite your girls over to make your own ornaments. Making your own decorations will save you some money!

Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, remember the decorations are just pretty to look at. The real holiday is spending time with family and appreciating each other!

Courtney White

Montclair '22

Courtney is a senior at Montclair State University majoring in journalism and minoring in fashion. She is also working on a certificate for makeup artistry. Originally from a very small town in Northeast Pennsylvania, she plans to live in New York with career aspirations in the media or fashion industries
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.