HCM’s Tips for Killer Brows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If there is one thing I get asked about on almost a daily basis, it’s my eyebrows.

They’ve become such a staple in my everyday makeup routine that they’ve become a defining aspect to who I am. While I admit that my natural brow game is pretty strong (I have my father and my Spanish roots to thank for that) I still need a little help to get them on fleek.  

For that, I use a product that either is a go to product or the one you’re too scared to go to: Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade.

This product is great for all skin types, even my combination to oily skin. It doesn’t fade off throughout the day, the color range is incredible (remember, always use a color one shade lighter than your natural color!) and you really get your bang for your buck with the amount of product you get in relation to how much you need to use.

The last part is obviously to most important for us collegiette’s to take into consideration. With a price tag of $18, it’s easy to venture off to another, cheaper product. But, when I tell you that you need the tiniest amount to fill in your brows, I swear to you I am not joking. I’ve had mine for a good year and half and it has not dried out and I have not come close to even getting through half of it.

For me, it’s worth the investment and it is the number one beauty product I recommend for anyone trying to achieve swoon worthy brows.  

While I have now found my holy grail product and process, it hasn’t always been that way (trust me I have the High School pictures to prove it). With that said, I’d like to help you all on your quest to brow mecca.

Here’s some tips and tricks I learned along the way!

First off, make sure to invest in a good pair of tweezers. The first step to killer brows is clean brows! It’s important to maintain your brows, whether that be by tweezing, waxing or threading, because brows can become unruly fast. The more you stay on top of them, the easier a time you’ll have. One of my favorite pairs of tweezers is from Revlon that retails for around $6. Be sure to get a pair with a slant tip for more precision! 

IMPORTANT: Be sure to focus your tweezing to below the brow. It’s important to tread carefully when going above the brow because over plucking could lead you to severely mess up your natural shape. Remember ladies, we’re going for a realistic look. Overly plucked and especially overly defined brows can look too harsh and be a bit much on a day to day basis. Sticking to a more natural style that resembles your natural shape is easier and more flattering to the face. 

Speaking of your natural shape, this is the next step: take a look at your brows and discover your brow shape. It’s easy to pine for brows like Cara Delevigne or Lily Collins, but it’s important to be realistic about the ones on your face. Their eyebrows look great on them because they’re their natural brows but they may not suit you. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t have killer brows! To define your brow shape use the three point method:

The beginning of your brow should be aligned with the side of your nostril, the arch (highest point) should align with your iris and the brow should stop when it lines up with the corner of your eye and edge of your nostril. This is a full proof way to ensure your brows will be even in size and structure. 

Now that you’ve cleaned your brows up and defined your shape, it’s time to fill them in. This is the scary part for many because it’s so easy to over do it. This is a problem I find many come across when debating on using the ABH Dipbrow Pomade. This stuff is very pigmented so if you don’t know what you are doing you can go overboard. 

Luckily, I already went through that for you, (did I mention the High School photos?) so here’s the easiest way to use it to acheive a flattering and natural brow look!

First, you want to make sure you invest in a good, stiff angled brow brush (prefferably with a spooly on the end so that you can brush your brows beforehand). My favorite is also from Anastasia Beverly Hills and is her Brush #12. 

Next, dip your brush into the pomade and then on the inside of the cap to spread the product through the brush. This is the secret. It is so important to do this because not only are you distributing the product evenly on the brush, you are also removing some excess product. When you go directly from the pot to your brow, you will have too much on your brush, leading to a harsh brow. 

After this step, start filling in your brow at the end first. This is the time when you have the most product on your brush so you want to place it where you want your brows to be their darkest.

Starting on top of your brow where your arch begins, draw a line down to where your brow should end (remember the 3 points!) and fill in the tail. You can also lightly apply the dipbrow in a line underneath the arch for a sharper, fuller look.

After doing this it’s time to move to the front.

The best way keep your brow looking natural and not too harsh towards the front is this: start a tiny bit before where your brow naturally begins and draw a line underneath your brow towards the arch, underlining and defining the front. Then, on the spot before that you left bare, place and move your brush in an upward motion to distribute some product through the front of your brow evenly and softly. After you’ve done this, lightly stroke any bare spots with the brush to fill them in. And there you have it!

You should end up with something like this:

**I prefer a messier looking brow towards the end of my brow because a fully defined brow looks a bit harsh on me since my brows are already very full; I skip underlining below my arch.**

All in all, it’s important to test out products to find your perfect process, but if you’re looking for a place to start, Dipbrow is it. 

Most importanly, it’s important to remember to HAVE FUN WITH IT! In the end, it’s makeup and it’s supposed to be fun so play it up or play it down, whatever you do remember to enjoy playing with your already beautiful features! Hope this helped you achieve your fiercest look yet!

P.S* HCM is currently working on a YouTube channel and content so be on the look out for a video tutorial once we launch!

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.