This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Thanks to Hollywood, our perception of geek-chic is so warped from the truth. Being into this trend must mean that you wear suspenders and pocket protectors, right? Wrong. In fact, it’s the complete opposite. I’m here to expose the truth about geek chic and how it is much more common than you think it is. I’m going list three geek chic items you may already own in your closet and show you how to style it with ease and of course, a little bit of geek.

One: Bow Ties

Bow ties aren’t just for five-year-old boys anymore. You can rock bow ties with a few basics such as a crisp collared shirt and some dark-washed jeans. My personal favorite happens to be pairing a printed bow tie with a collared shirt, blazer, jeans, and a pair of high-heeled Mary Jane’s. Your boring outfit becomes an instant classic! Remember, a bow tie is like a necklace, so don’t be afraid to invest in some printed, textured, or brightly colored bow ties. Here, we have blogger Blair from Atlantic-Pacific showing off my favorite way to wear a bow tie.

Source: Atlantic-Pacific.blogspot.com

Two: Oxfords

Oxfords are vital to every thriving fashionista’s closet. Whether they’re heeled, wedged, or flat – whatever it may be, if you don’t own a pair, I suggest you run to the nearest mall and scoop a pair up. Don’t limit yourself to the classic cognac color, you can find printed, metallic, and neon Oxfords almost anywhere. Oxfords are timeless and come in all variations; they will literally never go out of style! These classic kicks can go with almost any outfit imaginable, get creative with these fabulous shoes!

Source: Dianesfashionblog.blogspot.com

Three: Glasses

Okay, ladies, if you wear glasses and are seeking for a chic pair of frames, look no further! Warby Parker is a site that sells prescription and non-prescription glasses for nothing less than ninety-five dollars! How amazing is that? When you buy a pair of glasses from Warby Parker, the company gives a pair for children in third-world countries. So not only are you amping up your style, you’re also helping a child in need. Not sure which frames you want? Warby Parker has you covered.  Warby Parker has an “At Home Try-On”; meaning, before you purchase your frames, you can select up to five glasses and have them sent to your home for a week. I’m currently in the middle of my trial and it’s so hard deciding the frames, they’re all so perfect!

Source: Totakethetrain.wordpress.com

So what do you think ladies? Are you going to give the Geek-Chic trend a try? 

Photo Sources: 1 2 3

"Fashions fade, style is eternal" -Yves Saint Laurent