Style > Fashion

Feeling comfortable with your style in college

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When I first came to college, I expected everyone to walk around in sweatpants and hoodies on a daily basis. This is the “college fashion” stereotype that I had seen on numerous occasions when I would scroll through TikTok looking for college fashion advice. Little did I know that only some people will dress like this, but many other students put a lot of thought into their appearance.

At Montclair State University, most students dress like they are in a fashion magazine on a daily basis. I’m the type that throws on a random sweatshirt and pants and calls it a day. Last year, I always felt like I didn’t look good enough because I never dressed the same way others did. I found myself spending hundreds of dollars on clothes that I didn’t even like that much, but I felt like it was ‘stylish.’ Most of those clothes now just sit in my closet collecting dust. 

I have this bad habit of wanting to be perfect. It’s something I’m trying to work on, but I never want someone to not like me or judge something I’m doing. This doesn’t change when it comes to my style either. I always get a little nervous walking around campus that someone will think my outfit is ugly or just not good enough. But, constantly trying to match your style with the newest trends, or maybe a fashion icon, can be pretty exhausting. With the prices of everything nowadays, it can drain your bank account too. 

Not only did I not feel comfortable in the clothes, but I didn’t even like the clothes I was wearing. I usually would get really excited to choose an outfit in the morning and would choose something that best fit my mood. However, last year, I was only focusing on if my outfit was trendy or not. This year I’ve been seriously trying to let this mindset go. I realized how draining it was on me mentally (and financially)! I’ve learned how to feel comfortable in my clothes, regardless if it matches the “styles of the season” or not. 

One piece of advice I have for anyone that feels this way is that your style is supposed to revolve around you! If you don’t feel comfortable in a piece of clothing, you shouldn’t force yourself to wear it. When low-rise jeans started making a comeback, I bought a pair fully knowing that I was going to hate them. After I got home and tried them on, I instantly regretted my purchase. Not only did I know from the beginning that I would dislike them, they also didn’t fit my body type at all. 

Another point I wanted to make is that you don’t always have to “dress to impress” for your classes. It’s okay to walk into class with sweatpants on. Honestly, most people probably don’t even realize! If you like dressing up for class, then you do that! But, I want people (like me) to know that you don’t always have to be worried about impressing others.

The point I’m trying to make is that you’re in charge of your own style. Everyone has their own clothing preferences, and you’re included in that. Don’t feel pressured into dressing in a way you don’t like just because you see it somewhere else.

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.