Dear High School Seniors: What to Consider before Choosing a College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s about that time of year again when high school seniors start choosing what school they’ll be attending for the next four years! Before submitting your deposit for the school of choice, try considering some of these options to ensure you’re making the right choice for yourself:

1. What does the school offer for your major?

A school simply offering your major of choice is a great first step, and probably something you already know. However, you should also look into the opportunities your school offers for your major. For example, are there a lot of internship opportunities or are there good faculty connections? Or, does your major simply exist? It’s important to look into.

1. What do the Residence Halls look like?

Part of the freshman year experience is living (or just surviving) in a dorm and it’s typically not the nicest. If you know that you’re someone who needs a nicer living space then that should be something you prioritize in your options. You know yourself better than anyone else does, so look into the different living options at each school you’re considering. You will live in this space for almost a year of your life so it’s better to be safe than sorry!

1. Try talking to a current student!

Any type of university will almost always put on its best appearance for tours, open houses or even its websites and social media posts. To get the inside scoop on what the campus is like, try connecting with a current student! If you don’t know of any current students, some schools have blogs or social media sites that give more of a real feel of what goes on there. (P.S. – if you’re looking for more information about Montclair State University, we, here at Her Campus Montclair, are always willing to help!)

1. FOOD!

I had to emphasize this one because it really is important. Most universities don’t have the best food on campus, but it’s important to figure out what kind of options they have. If you have an allergy or special food accommodations, you should look into what choices they have for that. Sometimes you might even get the option to eat at one of their dining halls when visiting the university which can help you get a gauge of what they offer.

1. Do you see yourself fitting in there?

I said this before but I’ll say it again, no one knows you more than you! If you have a strange feeling about a university, it might be best to cross it off the list. Having someone, like a friend or family member, pressure you into choosing one college never really helps you make the best choice either. Remember that you will be attending the university for the next four years, no one else. 

Trying to decide where you’ll end up best can be hard, but it will all end up working out in the end! I wish you all the best of luck with this decision.

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.