This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Struggling to find the perfect gift for your beloved? Nothing will win their heart more than a handmade present! Here are some creative ways to express your feelings to that special someone.

Welcome love birds! Valentine’s Day is shortly approaching, but if gift-giving is not your love language, this holiday might feel like a nightmare. How can you show them you care? What if you can’t find anything that symbolizes your strong connection? Fear not, for this article may steer you in the right direction. 

Homemade Gifts

The price of a gift does not determine a gift’s value. Oftentimes, homemade gifts receive better recognition than gifts that you purchase. This is because homemade gifts always require thought and care, which means more than any price tag. Homemade gifts are a personal favorite of mine, since there are so many creative approaches to making one.

Handwritten letters

This method is for the poets, for those who have a way with words. Letters are one of the most simple yet effective gifts, since they hold sentimental value. Nothing is more genuine than written work. Ideas for what to write include poems, song lyrics, recaps on memories you’ve had together, and stories. You can also leave trinkets in the envelope so the reader has something that reminds them of you. Examples include lockets, bracelets, clips, pins, stickers, a spritz of your perfume, or their favorite treat (hopefully not something that melts!)

CUTE ideas for letter decor: dried flowers, lipstick marks, paint, stamps, wax seals, or ribbon.

Food

Food will warm your Valentine’s heart and tummy! Another cost effective gift is a homemade meal! Whether you like to bake sweet treats, chef up savory dishes, or even make a simple fruit salad, preparing a meal can be a super fun and engaging date idea. You can even invite your Valentine early, and have them be a part of the cooking process. Nothing is sweeter than sharing a meal with someone you love.

Digital Gifts

If you are savvy online, perhaps you’d prefer to make them a gift digitally. Gifts don’t have to be physical, and something online can be downloaded and saved so that your partner can look back on the gift whenever they’d like.

Podcasts/Playlists 

This gift is especially great for partners in long distance relationships. Your voice may be just what your Valentine misses the most. Make them a podcast, something they can listen to when they miss you. You can have episodes where you reminisce on your favorite memories, sing them songs or make jokes, or simply say words of encouragement that they may listen to during tough times. 

Apps like GarageBand and Audacity make quality recordings, where you can edit and fine tune your podcasts.

Videography

This is ideal for film majors, or anyone who works well with a camera. Videography captures  moments that your special someone will cherish and rewatch fondly. Videography is an engaging project, since there are various angles and concepts you can experiment with to execute your message well. Some creative concepts for a visual gift include creating a montage of your memories together, directing a short film that symbolizes your relationship, conduct interviews with all your partner’s friends/family, or a music video which can have entertaining and heartwarming elements to it. 

Bold Gifts

For those who really want to step out of their comfort zone, go to all lengths for Valentine’s Day, try these gift ideas.

Serenade 

If you’ve got the voice, or even if you don’t, serenading someone is incredibly romantic. By performing for them live,  you are showing that you are courageous in the pursuit of love. Bonus points if you write an original song!

Art Sketch/Portrait

A portrait is an intimate gift you can give your darling. A portrait embodies what you see in them, and not just physically, but what you cherish about them as a person entirely. True art seeks deeper meaning than that. You can attempt to sketch your partner, or inquire your artist friends to collaborate with you. 

Did you like any of these gift ideas? Attempt your favorite and let us know if your Valentine enjoyed them! Let’s hope Cupid has a good aim this year. 

Nicole Rosales

Montclair '25

Junior at Montclair State, majoring in PR & minoring in Korean & Business. Wants to make connections with people through her stories.