A College Girl’s Guide to Surviving Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for family, reflection, good eats, and if you’re a college student, relaxation. No more midterms, no more nasty dining hall food, no more 8 ams— just four days of bliss.  Though we all go home with the intention of putting our feet up, as parents feed us actual food and do the weeks’ worth of laundry we just haven’t gotten around to, it’s not all good times and good vibes. Professors love assigning papers due the day after break, family can be overbearing, and you’ll probably run into every single person from high school you adeptly avoided for four years. BUT there are ways to overcome all this, girl you know I gotchu. Here’s your guide to surviving Thanksgiving Break 2k18.

Prioritize

You may have realized that the deadline for submitting all those late assignments is creeping up. Or you may have realized your car needed an oil change like four months ago but you just never got around to it.

A simple way to prioritize tasks is by simply writing a to-do list on scrap paper and then categorize each task. If you have assignments for various classes, all can be put under “schoolwork”. Or if you need to run to Target or  get your car washed, it can be put under “errands”. Next you ask yourself which category is the most important and set it aside as #1 and then which is the #2, etc. Finally, prioritize within the category, ie. “schoolwork”— which assignment must be done first. It’s all baby steps and process of elimination. It may seem overwhelming at first, but YOU CAN DO THIS!

Be Poised

For many, going back home for an extended period (more than a weekend) results in being tackled with loaded questions by various family members. From “what do you plan on doing with your major” to “have you met anyone at school?”, “how’s your boyfriend/girlfriend?” and the dreaded “how did your midterms go/ how are your grades?” Though family often means well, it can be frustrating to deal with “catching up” questions because their reaction to  your answers might lead you to feel embarrassed or enraged.

Instead of screaming internally as an aunt asks what you plan on doing with that English major besides teaching, breathe. Here are some tips from The HoneyBee Joyous : If you really have no clue or are still figuring out what you would like to do post-graduation, talk about short term plans. This includes mentioning any recent accomplishments and internships  or opportunities you want to seek. Another great tip is to honestly say you are not quite sure and are still figuring it out, and then ask them their advice; how did they decide on the job they wanted.   

Take a Break

It’s called a break for a reason!! So in all the food, family, and work frenzy, make time for you!

• Call up your bffs from high school and have a Friendsgiving or just hangout and catch up

• Go watch that movie you’ve been dying to see

• Pamper yourself; go make the most of Black Friday deals and buy your fave body wash & face masks. Bring those home vibes back to your dorm.

Thanksgiving Break can be a hectic time, but it doesn’t have to be. Prioritize, Be Poised, Relax. You will survive!

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.