Style

Closet Staple: Leather Pieces; Adding Texture to Your Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I know that winter is slowly approaching (sadly) and it may be hard to put together stylish outfits that are weather appropriate and insta-worthy. This season leather is IN and there are many ways to incorporate it into your looks instead of overwearing your basic black leather moto jacket. Leather can add some edge to your looks but that doesn’t mean that every time you wear leather it has to be strictly edgy. There are ways to incorporate leather in a more casual, chic or even professional outfit and I’m here to help you do just that.

Keep it Casual x Leather Pants

Leather pants are very underappreciated. Many people usually see leather pants as being more of a nighttime kind of look but there are many types of leather pants that can be styled to be worn much more casual. I own a pair of black leather cargo pants and let me tell you they have made the best addition to my wardrobe. You may be thinking “LeAtHeR cArGo PaNtS?!!”, I know they may not be the most basic thing to have in your closet but that’s exactly what I love about them. They’re super comfy, stylish and they also provide awesome warmth. I like to call them my power pants because I honestly feel super awesome when I wear them. The great thing about black leather pants is that they’re a play on simple black pants but a bit more interesting. The leather adds some texture to your otherwise simple looks. Any leather pants can be paired with a classic pair of white sneakers for a perfect casual look. 

Streetwear Chic x Leather on Leather

This might just be my favorite way to style any textured look. Many may see this as bold or maybe too much leather but with the right balance, this is such a great statement look. It’s all about playing with the texture if you pair leather pants with a leather jacket just add a simple top under to balance out the outfit. To pull an all-leather jumpsuit moment pair the fit with a pair of black booties that will complement the look. The great thing about this outfit is that on cold sunny days the sun hitting the leather will keep you warm and toasty. There is something very powerful about an all-black leather outfit, it exudes confidence and boss energy.

Classy Boss Babe x Leather Pants

Now to wear leather for a professional chic office look grab a pair of leather pants and pair them with any heeled shoe. A classic black blazer adds that classy element to any outfit, but pair it with leather pants instead of normal dress pants to switch it up and to add some texture to the look. This is a great way to be stylish but also to keep the outfit office-appropriate. If your office doesn’t have a strictly professional dress code you can pair the pants with a chunky sweater, knit and leather fabrics complement each other very well.

I hope that this article inspires you to add leather to your outfits. Don’t be afraid to add different textures to your looks, it’s an easy way to spice up any outfit. The possibilities are endless when it comes to incorporating leather to your wardrobe, but I hope my recommendations can help you get started.

Passion for Fashion PR
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.